Page 124 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124
Results 1,231 to 1,238 of 1238

Thread: KKF counts to a million

1231 wow I have lost track of this thread. Dave - whatever happened with that rosebush of yours?

Oh wait, you mean we can customize our signatures?

KKF counts to a million

1232 Captain, try my recipe and see what you think http://tumblr.kinglau.co/post/748337...d-of-this-dish

1233 Obsidiank - thanks for the recipe/link. I've got the broad bean paste in my amazon cart, seems that may be where I went wrong last time? Is there a particular brand you would recommend.

Sunday was a cooking fest - made an all day ragu that will be dinner tonight, canned 4 quarts of bread and butter pickles (AMAZING!!! never doing store bought again) canned 4 pints of blackberry jam. Made a big pot of chicken broth from collected cuts/scraps from the freezer that will be dinner on Tuesday and made sloppy joes to go with the grilled corn that was dinner last night. Wed will be salad night and Thursday and Friday are leftover nights.

We have "stuff" going on almost every night this week and I'm trying to avoid falling into the takeout trap. Thus the cooking fest to get ahead of meals for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    1231 wow I have lost track of this thread. Dave - whatever happened with that rosebush of yours?
    1234 - I forget where I left off in the saga, so you may already know some of this. I gave up on the old one, and bought a new plant. I tried amending the soil and putting the new one where the old one had been, but it quickly went from robust to very sickly. So, I moved it to another location, where it has recovered to the point of being moderately healthy. Not sure if it's the heat or the lesser amount of direct sun it receives in the new location, but it's still not as nice as when I bought it. And now I feel bad for throwing the old one out, because it was clearly the soil, not the plant.

1235 - Dave - glad to hear the new rose bush is doing better. Sorry it seems like the old one could've been salvaged.

Can't even imaging trying to garden in AZ. If anything, we've gotten far too much rain this year. It's been so cool and overcast I have not yet gotten one rip tomato - and that includes my cherry tomatoes!

1235 - Dave - glad to hear the new rose bush is doing better. Sorry it seems like the old one could've been salvaged.

Can't even imaging trying to garden in AZ. If anything, we've gotten far too much rain this year. It's been so cool and overcast I have not yet gotten one rip tomato - and that includes my cherry tomatoes!
    1236 - Yeah, I wish I'd moved the old bush. It had the most beautiful peach/orange/pink flowers before I poisoned it. But, gardening in AZ isn't actually difficult, if A) you don't poison your plants, B) you have enough water, and C) you don't expect much during the Summer. The growing season here is from about September to about June. This used to be one of the biggest citrus growing areas in the country. It's still a major source of cotton. And lots of other things can grow well, here, with our help.

We've been getting a lot of rain, lately, too. This is our "Monsoon Season", from roughly the beginning of August to mid-September, We get about 70% of our annual rainfall during Monsoon Season. We get another ~20% as "Winter Rains", in January/February, and the rest is scattered showers, essentially. Which is why most things need our help to grow here. But, at the same time, my little patch of grass in the back yard is getting out of control because it's never dry enough to mow it. It's been raining at least every other night, so it never has time to dry out. But, it's green as Ireland, right now, so that's nice.

1237 - Dave - we've had a silly amount of rain and cool weather this year. I have so far only gotten one ripe cherry tomato off my plants. Usually by this time of the year I'm doing tomato something 3-4X's a week and giving pounds and pounds away to neighbours.

Even the local farmer's market tomatoes are looking a bit puny.

We actually had mushrooms growing in our lawn, it was so wet.

1237 - Dave - we've had a silly amount of rain and cool weather this year. I have so far only gotten one ripe cherry tomato off my plants. Usually by this time of the year I'm doing tomato something 3-4X's a week and giving pounds and pounds away to neighbours.

Even the local farmer's market tomatoes are looking a bit puny.

We actually had mushrooms growing in our lawn, it was so wet.
    1238 - That must be really frustrating. I had a year like that when I was back in the Boston area. Other years, like you, I was offering tomatoes to anyone who would take them. I don't do veggies, now, but my wife does. She got some nice Roma tomatoes that she grew from seed, along with massive amounts of green onions, and some strange Vietnamese plant that I can't even classify. It produced the weirdest "pods" I've ever seen. The cross-section of the pods looked like an asterisk *. I never did find out how she used them, other than knowing they went into one of the vegetable soups she's always making. Of course, the one Vietnamese soup I like is Pho, which she has never made.