Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

K-fed-

Is that a super blue Zakuri? The edge steel sure doesn't that much of patina. I have a Zakura 210 petty in super blue. Haven't used it very much and it shows almost zero signs of patina.

Cheers,
    rj

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    s0o0o0o I polished it up a bit with some wet dry paper and diamond compound. much less reactive with a good polish on it.
    That was my observation too, better polish on Zakuri aoichiko both hagane and jigane, less reactive on food it is.

Quote Originally Posted by skewed View Post
    K-fed-

Is that a super blue Zakuri? The edge steel sure doesn't that much of patina. I have a Zakura 210 petty in super blue. Haven't used it very much and it shows almost zero signs of patina.

Cheers,
    rj
    It's the blue 1 gyuto. The reactivity of the core is pretty minimal in my experience.

only on the new one handle is shiny...

Such an amazing knife and, oh yeah, 01 takes a pretty nice patina...

More pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/1176006...CI-_nbu2msTMZA
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

That's some really beautiful photo work, Justin. Especially considering how hard it is to get good patinas on camera.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonD View Post
    That's some really beautiful photo work, Justin. Especially considering how hard it is to get good patinas on camera.
    Thanks! Although its not hard once you figure out the lighting and angles: natural sunlight from a window a few feet away. You actually don't want the light to be too intense as your image will be all highlights and shadows. Some times a bounce / reflector (just a white poster board) is really handy if you put it opposite of the window / behind the knife. Then you shoot at a bit of an angle to capture the patina and make it so that the only thing reflecting in the blade is the blank white reflector.

So in this case, I just sat the knife on the seat of a leather, bar-height chair and set the chair facing the window. Then I propped the poster board up on the back of the chair.

The last trick is to set your camera to under-expose the shot. Most cameras will look at a seen like this and try to expose the shot so that the black chair and the dark handle are fully exposed, but this will "blow out" / over expose the blade.
    So, see what your camera "wants" to shoot at, then manually adjust either the shutter speed or the aperture to a bigger number. If your camera doesn't have a manual setting mode, then it probably has some sort of exposure compensation (might have to dig though some menus or *UGH* read the manual). You want to move the exposure compensation to the "-" side a step or 2. Knowing how much you need to under-expose the image comes from good ol' trial and error.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Kinda hard to see because of crappy iPhone pic, but here is my Tojiro IDK 210 with the KU finished removed. I polished it up today removing all old patina, then made dinner. This blue is from warm med rare duck breast, that I didn't wash the juice off until my girlfriend and I were done eating
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

This ques. been asked alot on this thread,thats a great looking patina Justin,how did you achieve it?

this is my kikuichi slicer...

once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right