Quantcast
My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread. - Page 44
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

I have to polish this one a bit (bought it used), but this arrived yesterday and this is the patina on it after just one home dinner prep:

Was just looking through this thread a couple days ago thinking about bumping it, but my patinas are not yet worthy.

I tried the raw and cooked blood on a 1095 blade with very little result. How much does steel composition effect it?

what a difference a couple shifts can make.

Question for those more knowledgable than me. Has anyone used coffee beans to impart a patina? Reason I ask is, I have a forgecraft that spends its time in a bin of coffee beans. It seems to be developing a patina where it comes into contact. I think.

N

Why would you keep a knife in a bin of coffee beans? I'm guessing that the residual acids and oils on the beans surface would be enough to cause a reaction. What does it look like?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Why would you keep a knife in a bin of coffee beans? I'm guessing that the residual acids and oils on the beans surface would be enough to cause a reaction. What does it look like?
    We don't have space for a magnetic rack (nor do I think I could convince my wife to have one put in with all the knives exposed). It also keeps our couple of knives out of reach or exploring infant hands and it is also weighted down which negates tipping over. I've read of people using bins with sand as a knife storage solution and this seems to be a good alternative (especially for the crap beans that we are using).

I'll see if I can take a pic of the developing patina tonight. It has a bluish tint to it, small patterns. I think it has the chance to develop into something pretty interesting.

This is the patina I'm referring to. (If I'm off base on what is considered a patina on knives, I apologize. Still learning). Also the bin of coffee bean holder, fyi.

270 Yoshikane Tamamoku V2 wa-gyuto (sold long ago), next to my old Konosuke 270 white#2 gyuto.

pic was taken in Sep-2012 with all my kitchen knives (sans for my travel knife: 270 Fujiwara FKM & Shun paring knife). Still have the exact same set as today...haven't had the itch to buy anything in almost 2 years now...in fact, I have thinking about selling several more -- but each holds sentimental value in some way, even if i barely use it.