Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wide bevel gyuto

Wide bevel gyuto

Konos Fujis never in stock and Kagekiyo a little bit too much money. So here we go maybe something else will meet the need? The wider the bevel the better.

KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? 240/270 gyuto
    Are you right or left handed? right
    Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? wa
    What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240-270
    Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) probably prefer carbon, stainless acceptable
    What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 4-500 US

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? home only
    What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) vegetables, boneless meat
    What knife, if any, are you replacing? no replacement, just something different
    Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) pinch
    If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) WIDE bevel would be nice, dark wood handle, carbon would be sweet

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) end grain wood
    Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) yes

Gesshin Heiji 240 semi-stainless wa-gyuto, right at the upper end of your budget: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-wa-gyuto.html

Way under your budget, but the 240 I have is an excellent knife:

Kochi 270 stainless clad carbon wa-gyuto: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-wa-gyuto.html

Kochi 270 migaki wa-gyuto: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-wa-gyuto.html

Rick
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

The Sakai knife that James passed around recently exactly fits...as does Kochi...both great knives.

Edit to say that after that other thread, not sure how I didn't think of Heiji...

Cheers
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

This may sound repetitive, but giving Jon from JKI a call would be about the best way to find the knife you are looking for. I actually talked to him about the knives already mentioned and the Heji is the thicker one of the two and may give you more wedging than the Kochi. Please note that this is just relative assessment from Jon - I have not used any of the two. My pick would be the Kochi with carbon kurouchi (there is carbon clad kurouchi, stainless clad kurouchi and one carbon clad migaki version) purely based on what I read about the knife.

Syousin Sakura from James, http://www.knivesandstones.com/syousin-sakura/ .

Heiji is also a good option, but if you are looking for really wide bevel, Heiji's bevel is not as wide as some of those from Sakai.

And for some reason, kochi migaki 240 that I have with me at the moment is not a wide bevel knife at all.

I've owned and own both Kochi and Heiji. Very different knives, but both are very good. I do prefer Heiji.

Kochi is not wide bevel.

Shiro kamo AS is very good value if you don't mind a little lack of fit & finish.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    Kochi is not wide bevel.
    Sorry, but you're wrong.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

The migaki anyway, maybe the v2 version is?

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    The migaki anyway, maybe the v2 version is?
    I owned the very first version of the v2 kurouchi that Jon offered, and I would definitely call it wide bevel.