Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: quality knife recommendations from bed bath beyond, thoughts?

quality knife recommendations from bed bath beyond, thoughts?

Hi everyone,

We got a bunch of Bed Bath & Beyond gift cards for wedding, and hoping to purchase some nice knives from them but have been going in circles picking some out. I initially wanted a matching set, but finally got over that and just want two quality knives that I'll use most. I am thinking something like a wusthof ikon, but reading about it people seemed to recommend a Japanese knife like a shun instead, then when I read about those people complain about edges chipping, etc.., so then I start considering the german knives again! Maybe try one of each?

USA

KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
    8-9" Chefs, 5-6" Petty

Are you right or left handed?
    Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
    neutral

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    8-9" Chefs, 5-6" Petty

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
    Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
    300ish - have lots of gift cards to Bed Bath and Beyond, so limiting purchases to their selection!

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
    Home cooking

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
    Mostly for slicing variety of vegetables, trimming & slicing meats , and occasionally fruits like pineapples, apples, watermelons

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
    A garbage Walmart knife block set, and a Henckels International 6" utility knife (which opened my eyes to better knives, so I'm excited to go to the next level!)

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
    Hammer grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
    Hmm, probably mostly slicing or push cut.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
    Pretty much everything- but mostly better sharpness, style, and overall quality
    I do like the Damascus look, but not a high priority. Good stain resistance is a must have, & prefer something that looks nice though

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
    Comfortable handle is a must. I feel like if I don't like the way a knife feels I will tend not to use it as much

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
    As long as I can learn to shapen, it's not as important. Anything will be a step up from what I have now.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
    Wood acacia cutting board & plastic.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
    I did pick up a combination sharpening stone (800/3000 grit from amazon), hoping to learn to sharpen myself, also considering a high end chef's choice motorized sharpener that got good reviews (I know these are commonly frowned upon here though)

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
    Yes, interested in learning to sharpen myself. Planning to use my current henckels utility to learn to sharpen on the whetstone

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
    I am willing to, yes.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
    I've been using a cheap henckels' international 6" utility knife for everything at the moment, looking to expand to a nice quality chefs & petty, will later purchase a cheap bread & paring. My wife is not the best at taking care of said current knife, so want something fairly durable (definitely stainless) but I have educated her for the new knives to not go in dishwasher, and should be cleaned/dried soon after use.

My initial thought is to get a wusthof classic ikon 8" chefs knife and either a 5-6"" Miyabi artisan/fusion utility/prep knife, or kramer essential 5" utility.

Does this sound like a good solution? Any better recommendations given the limitation to BBB? With Wusthof, Henckels, Shun, Messermeister, Yaxell, Kramer, Miyabi, etc… it's a lot for a newbie to go through! BBB doesn't carry these in store, only online, and there are not many other stores near me to go check them out in hand either, but BBB does have a good return policy. Wusthof and Shun are not included in their 20% off coupon, so bonus points for the others! Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm already learning a lot from this site!

first, congrats to the nuptials.

second, congrats to NOT wanting a knife set.

i think i could survive just fine forever with a 10" chef, a paring knife and a bread knife. having said that, i LOVE my Wustof Classic 10" chef dearly..(loved it more before i found this cursed forum )

Zwilling Kramer 8" essential would be worth a look. Try to get your hands on it, bit of a unique profile that could be love/hate. I love mine in 52100, as so many others here.

Look at the Bob Kramer knives. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...Keyword=knives if you don't mind carbon that is.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

You could do worse than a gift card Shun. Though I would point you at a good toaster oven or pressure cooker or some such and send you elsewhere for knife shopping.

When all is said and done I think most will cede that Shun makes a decent knife, most are German style with Japanese steel, they are grossly overpriced, they are not easy to maintain - that fancy faux dammy will look like crap if the knife is sharpened properly. They get the reputation for being chippy because most users will treat them like the softer German's they are used to and misuse may cause chipping. For example, steeling is fine for a German knife - even encouraged to maintain sharpness. Steel that Shun, even with the Shun steel, and you may well cause chipping.

If you've got to burn those cards on knives, the 8" Classic, the 5" Utility and the 3" paring don't suck. I have had the utility (a Petty in Jspeak) and it works very well for trimming and removing silverskin. The paring actually gets some love here. I don't try and keep up with who sells what lines but the Premier is a little jazzier than the Classic.
    Older and wider..

What brand is that whetstone? Not the tiny Anself oilstone?

If in doubt, get a king/sun tiger 1k/6k stone. Messy but gives good results and is great value for money.

Wusthof is controversial here, many consider it overpriced, most would agree that you will need to do some whetstone work (changing the edge angle to a few degrees more obtuse and/or applying a microbevel and/or smoothing out the edge shoulders - all these could be frustrating for somebody inexperienced with whetstones) more or less straight after unpacking.

If you like "slicing and push cuts", working from the wrist instead of tip-resting-on-board, you want harder knives, japanese cutlery is good for you. I'd say look at the Miyabi Birchwood (SG-2 steel, also called MC63 in Miyabi/Henckels code...). Consider Santokus, but not the hollow edge ones (they are unneccessarily thick by simple physics ).

That kind of knife *will* get damaged if you rock chop/mince with force appropriate to pumping a vehicle jack, pry, hack at bones, or bash things with momentum But it will stay sharp far longer if used with "slicing and push cuts".

That applies to the Yaxell, to all the Miyabi lines, they use similar steels as the Shun (mostly 60 and up on the rockwell C hardness scale (HRC). that is "upper medium hard" regarding cooking knives. 52-55=soft and tough, 56-59=modern western, 60-63=japanese,64-69=know-what-you-are-doing-if-buying-this* ) and are designed for similar usage styles.

*yes, I know, wildly inaccurate, but given as a simple orientation.

definitely kramer essential line

+ 1 for Kramer Essential (if you want stainless), very easy to sharpen and takes a great edge. Imo, the AEB-L steel is much nicer than the Shuns VG10 and is not chippy at all. The handle also feels really nice in the hand. If stainless is not important than the Carbon ones are also really nice.

Here are the stainless:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ife/1044480271

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ife/1044480257

Here are some pics of mine:

Yes I would recommend looking at the Zwilling Kramer and there are also some compelling prices on most of Miyabi 8" chef knives with the current promotional pricing on them (+20% off with coupon). Also while Shun is listed on the coupon exclusions, the store near me has no problem taking them.

@bennyprofane: some very nice pics!

Did not know BBB offered the Z Kramer. Might use one of those 20% off coupons one day.

No love for the Miyabi.
    Older and wider..