Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Butcher knife Question

Butcher knife Question

To start move this post if this in the wrong forum.
    Well I'm not a chef, Im a butcher in a small locker and have been for 16 years and my primary job is cutting stakes and roast. I've always used a Victorinox cimeter/scimitar 10" knife every few years the boss buys me a knew one. It about time for a new one and I was think about buying myself a nice bade. What would be the Japanese equivalent to the cimeter? By the way I don't know much when it comes to the knife world!

Welcome to the forums

Welcome!

Does your employer allow carbon blades or stainless only for butchering? Same question regarding western handles (sealed with bolsters) vs Japanese wooden/horn handles?

You will want a steel that isn't too brittle as to chip or dullen quickly if it runs against bone once in a while.

Do you refresh the edge on your scimitar with a honing steel in between cuts? Are you looking to be able to do that with the new knife? Or are you looking for a much longer lasting edge that you'll touch up using a stone or strop when the need arises?

I unfortunately can't offer any knife suggestions at this point.

Following this thread as deer season is about to start and a good quality Japanese butcher/scimitar would make a nice addition to the kit.

Japanese-style knives get you hard steel and edge/grind asymmetry.
    Its not clear either of those are as great a benefit to butchery as to other uses.

Once you are down into 58 hrc to allow for bone and steeling the blade,
    you are basically at the same level as mass produced western knives.

Without geometry or hardness benefits, than blade profile become the biggest decision variable.
    Curved blade cimeter and bullnose shapes have their fans for very good reason, IMHO.

Many people prefer western boning shapes, and the japanese shapes are no direct substitute.

Thanks
    Blade material doesn't matter no wood handles per health inspector
    I steel my knife often I keep it sharp enough I can shave with it!

Quote Originally Posted by HRC_64 View Post
    Many people prefer western boning shapes, and the japanese shapes are no direct substitute.
    What knife blade styles are used for this purpose?

Just a thought, not sure what kind of budget you have in mind for this blade but maybe you could go the custom route? Get a maker to make you a scimitar with a blade profile and shape you're used to but with a better steel than a run of the mill Victorinox, Forschner or Dexter?

Quote Originally Posted by StonedEdge View Post
    Just a thought, not sure what kind of budget you have in mind for this blade but maybe you could go the custom route? Get a maker to make you a scimitar with a blade profile and shape you're used to but with a better steel than a run of the mill Victorinox, Forschner or Dexter?
    Any suggestions on a maker I would want to stay under 300 but you never know?

Quote Originally Posted by Hager View Post
    Any suggestions on a maker I would want to stay under 300 but you never know?
    Again, I can't offer any recommendations sadly, having never ordered a custom knife I would be talking out of my arse.

You're located in the US? I'm sure others here can come up with a fairly long list of recommended custom makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hager View Post
    What knife blade styles are used for this purpose?
    This gives an overview of different shapes of non-western blades.
    For the most part, the Japanese knives are historically focused on cutting fish and vegetables.
    They have some other options but none are (obvious) improvements on western designs.

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...-and-functions