Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mazaki knives

mazaki knives

i just got one today a 240 gyuto. though this one is listed at 250mm which was a big part of the reason i chose to pick one up.
    didnt want to post in the JNS thread for this because i got it from cleancut. they also offer a KU version.

i am blown away by it. mind you this is just initial impressions.

profile is not nearly as good as it looks in photo but it's fine and can also be adjusted. but good news it does run long and tall. each flat section is about an inch which is fine because the curve is gradual and not belly. stock starts off fat at the handle but tapers aggressively at the start then gradual taper and then aggressive again at the tip. spine to edge tapering is there as well, quite thin behind the edge as in a lot of meat taken off as you get closer to the edge. because of that it's not hefty feeling yet it kinda does, hard to explain. i would say it's in between a mid and workhorse. from initial cutting (30 seconds) i'd say the grind is fully convex right face, with a very tall wide bevel left face but the shoulder smoothed out, it's pretty good. not watanabe good but it cuts nice. spine and choil are eased quite well, but not rounded. the handle, oh man it's #$%#$%#$^**#& sweet! it looks to me like some kind of cherry wood, D shape and already oil treated, perfectly flush/shaped buffalo horn. this is an extremely good knife, i can't believe it only cost $260 us and arrived in 3 days. i will go on and say this is the best buy out there by far.
    too early to really say but this might be replacing my watanabe even. i will comment about the steel once ive used it more and put on stones.

Nice looking knife! I've come to realize that I really suck at being able to tell much about profile from online pics...looks to me to have a pretty decent flat spot. Looking forward to some follow-up once you've used it a bit.

once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Love the thickness of the spine at the handle! Reminds me of the Kato...

It is not a chunky knife by any means. More like a workhorse laser hybrid.

Cool. What is the weight?

I'll weigh it tomorrow at work

I don’t have a Wat gyuto, Toyama, or Kato but the picture reminds me of the old style Sabatier taper. +1 looking forward to performance notes.
    “Sucking at something is the first step towards being sort of good at something.” -Jake the Dog

this is pretty unique, it doesnt stand out at any one thing but the sum of its parts is what makes it so good. like the legendary KS in its own way. if i were to put a generalization on it, it would be a thinner white steel watanabe with a pointier tip and a little more curve in the profile. this shape suits my technique more than a straight up push cutter like a wat because i am more of a slicer and push/pull than anything else.

I purchased the 180mm and 240mm when JNS had sale few weeks back. I never used or own Toyama, Kato, Shigefusa, or watanabe but thus far Mazaki has blown my other purchases out of the water. I only used the 180mm past week and it has been a joy to use. Surprisingly, it is not very reactive and acts like a semi-stainless steel knife.

maybe it could be the ghetto looking finish i am 100% all about this, want to keep it like this if possible.

curious, if you havent tried any of the other classics, what made you choose to try this brand new maker?? was it simply because of its value based price?