Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticking to brand of knives.

Sticking to brand of knives.

Hey all,

I was curious as to when buying knives if you have a brand you like to add on to your kit with just them.

For example, I really love my carter petty knife I have, and I'm looking to add on to my kit with a new gyuto, should I just consider getting another carter?

Thanks all.

I understand your idea---I'm a bit ocd about things like that, too...but wouldn't it be better to find the best gyuto that meets your needs, regardless of brand? If that happens to be another Carter, great, but if not, it's OK, too. Especially when a gyuto is theoretically more integral than a petty, I'd choose a gyuto first.
    Which is more important to you---having matching labels or having knives match your lifestyle?
    My personal solution is to try to get custom knives from a chosen maker that are among the top possible performers, too. But if that doesn't work, I'd chose another maker if it means a performance boost.

I do the contrary. I like variety. I try to get knives from different makers, from different city, of different style. But that's up to everyone taste, I guess. My thing is to admire and compare the work of different person. I like to think of it as a journey.

Quote Originally Posted by zetieum View Post
    I do the contrary. I like variety. I try to get knives from different makers, from different city, of different style. But that's up to everyone taste, I guess. My thing is to admire and compare the work of different person. I like to think of it as a journey.
    +1 - so much more fun too

There are very few makers that were popular several years ago that are still just as well-regarded today. Carter is one on this very short list. I have two and they are probably my best cutters. If you like your Carter and can afford a gyuto from him, just buy it. It is hard to find an unkind word said about his products. Unlikely that you will find an alternative with a "performance boost".

Ive been trying to collect katos haha

I buy whatever I can find a good deal on. I do currently own 2 yu kurosakis 3 tadafusas 4 hhh(3 are being made now) and 3/4 takamura I own 2 takamura 210mm gyutos. Cause I really like them. There's a marko on bst for $250 that after pics get posted I may scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by zetieum View Post
    I'm with this - different makers, different steels, different everything you can. But do whatever makes you happy.

I'm an ignoramus myself, but a whole set of one expensive brand *as the only thing in the kitchen* screams "bigger ignoramus with a wedding registry" to me unless the owner is, as mentioned, a collector.

think of it like you approach dining out. i like to find a single dish that a place does better than any other place i know and only get that item from them each time (i call this product loyalty). or you might take the other approach where you find a restaurant you like everything they make so you only go there yet still get variety since you can change up what you order each time (brand loyalty).