Thread: Buffalo horn ferrule cracking?

Buffalo horn ferrule cracking?

On a few of my knives the buffalo horn has cracked. What is usually the cause of this? I don't oil the handles for the most part is that the cause?

Thanks

Probably yes. Horn is like most natural woods not a very stable material, and will move with changes in moisture. Sealing it is a good idea imo. I like hardening oils for this purpose, i use tru-oil which is a boiled linseed based product with drying agents. I apply and buff of with cloth right away, repeat once or twice for a couple of days to a couple of weeks, until you're happy.

Part of the problem could also be pressure. You'll see some knives are mounted into a fully filed out tang slot that is then filled, while others are squeezed tight into the slot at the horn/collar. So there's pressure there that can be an issue over time.
    'Grief is a hone to a hard mind.'

Bamin - if the cracks are longitudinal, parallel with handle, and don't effect fit & function you should be fine. Had a larger one on a Kono for a very long time and it never impacted performance. CA glue (very thin) can be very useful (see thread below if you want) in filling them but a little goes a LONG way so masking and taking your time is important. Or, if there is no need, don't do anything.

Here's a link to an older thread regarding it.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...racked-Ferrule

Quote Originally Posted by MontezumaBoy View Post
    Bamin - if the cracks are longitudinal, parallel with handle, and don't effect fit & function you should be fine. Had a larger one on a Kono for a very long time and it never impacted performance. CA glue (very thin) can be very useful (see thread below if you want) in filling them but a little goes a LONG way so masking and taking your time is important. Or, if there is no need, don't do anything.

Here's a link to an older thread regarding it.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...racked-Ferrule

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...racked-Ferrule[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are longitudinal and have not posed a problem. Mostly, just aesthetically displeasing. Ill get some tru-oil for the other knives.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDispossessed View Post
    Part of the problem could also be pressure. You'll see some knives are mounted into a fully filed out tang slot that is then filled, while others are squeezed tight into the slot at the horn/collar. So there's pressure there that can be an issue over time.
    Depending on how different makers mount the handle I could see this being the problem. Of all my knives the only ones with this problem are those from Suisin, the others have not had issues.

Thanks for the tips guys,
    -Bakr