Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanaka Damascus 210mm Gyuto Reactivity

Tanaka Damascus 210mm Gyuto Reactivity

A few forum members recommended this knife so I picked one up, and it's a great knife, but one thing has been nagging me, and it's a minor thing but it's triggering my OCD, so... reportedly it uses Aogami #2 steel, but there is ZERO reactivity, unlike my other aogami steel knives.

Could this be due to the method used to make damscus steel, or am I the only one here. Maybe other tanaka owners can chime in.

Maybe you have vg10 not a B2? The cladding on the B2 is usually the very reactive part and not the B2 itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Talim View Post
    Maybe you have vg10 not a B2? The cladding on the B2 is usually the very reactive part and not the B2 itself.
    According to metalmasterjp it's blue steel, so I don't know. Maybe I'll shoot him an email.

How's the geometry? Vg10 is more of a laser iirc

Pics would certainly help

if it was a B2 version, it would be reactive as f+$k, the cladding on that knife is the worst

Guys here who bought their Tanaka B2 dammys just recently have mentioned that the latest ones are much less reactive.

James @K&S has been pressuring Tanaka about the reactivity and asking Tanaka for the SS clad B2 knives to negate the problem. Seems like Tanaka has listened and changed the iron cladding to something less reactive.

I never felt the core steel B2 to be that reactive in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by easy13 View Post
    if it was a B2 version, it would be reactive as f+$k, the cladding on that knife is the worst
    No, it used to be...believe he changed the cladding material though it's still clad in iron. My guess is that you've not completely cleaned off the protective coating...try nail polish remover (acetone?) and a scrubbie.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    No, it used to be...believe he changed the cladding material though it's still clad in iron.
    Well amen, one I had was a few years ago, probably the worst cladding I have ever dealt with. Better cladding and a proper handle is a different ballgame.

Quote Originally Posted by easy13 View Post
    Well amen, one I had was a few years ago, probably the worst cladding I have ever dealt with. Better cladding and a proper handle is a different ballgame.
    The Tanaka I have is comparable to a shig in clad reactivity. I don't have any problem with either or in that respect. I only wish Tanaka would go plain clad. Dummy with grey/orange patina does not make sense IMHO.