Quantcast
My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread. - Page 6
Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Really liking it, Dave. It changed my mind about nakiris. I don't know if it was the thinness of the blade or the profile (it's flatter than most nakiris), but it just cuts like a dream. It's become my "go to" when I have veggies to prep.

Butch, if you're reading this, thanks for making such a great knife!

Excellent to hear!

patina

Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Below are some pics of me taking a fujiwara fkh 240mm gyuto from new to patina. I did wash the knife very well with hot soap/water and then acetone and soap/water again, then acetone wipe before using mustard. Drying in between of course with paper towels.

After cleaning the knife, I sliced some potatoes (edge is poor now was fair ootb barely shaving hair and 90/10 bevels) and rubbed the blade with them with no residue. After this I washed with soap/water and dried, then rubbed lightly with my fingers some baking soda on the blade, then washed and dried. After I took a magic eraser and cleaned up the "stainless" bolsters which had a tiny bit of mustard on them and stained. I still need a little more work there but that will take 20 minutes to do properly with some wet-dry.

Overall I think a fair job, I will cut protein tonight and do more pics later...

New

Mustard

After mustard

After bak. soda

Old sabatier rough cigar box rehandle

Love to hear what you think and any tips/suggestions...

Great forum!

JC

I love the Sab with cigar box handle. Cool cool cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Salty,

I really like the blues you are getting with your forced patinas. How long did you leave the blood on?

Thanks

Might be a little off topic but has anyone ever etched a solid blade just to get that super dark color you get from etching?
    Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Growing-Chef.com

Quote Originally Posted by Abattoir View Post
    Might be a little off topic but has anyone ever etched a solid blade just to get that super dark color you get from etching?
    I've read of it being done but never seen it. If anyone has pictures I'm very interested!

i ended up refinishing my Shig this past Friday, due to a nasty scratch caused by grit hiding in an onion (normally nicks and scratches don't get to me, but it was ugly), so my existing patina disappeared. i started it with some mustard blotches, mostly to not get ugly brown onion imprints, as an onion was the first thing i cut, and then i let it do whatever it wanted. i think it looks pretty nice, so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Abattoir View Post
    i have etched my Hattori FH, but i've polished it back to normal. i etched it to get rid of ugly scratches. it didn't look very nice, immediately post etch.

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy9977 View Post
    not really what most people have....this is the handle on a slicer i have....ryan
    In Yiddish we call that ungapatchka -- meaning so overly ornate that it is ugly and I wouldn't dare own it and if I did it would indicate my truly horrendous bad taste, but I would give it away as a gift to get rid of it.

All that in one word. Yiddish can be a great language.....
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!