My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Love that carbon blush- so hard to get a great photo. Here is a feeble attempt.

displayimage.php

This is an older one of my Ino-
displayimage.php

misono1.jpg

It's gotten quite a bit darker and more even in the few weeks since I took this. And yes, I know the edge is crap, but I'm getting better!

Blues are the best but I also like the purple that I see on some kasumi yanagis.

I treated one of my gyutos with phosphoric acid as soon as I got it. What I'm left with is a dull grey knife that won't patina. Was it a mistake? I think so, but atleast it doesn't rust.

Looks like evidence to me..............

I have some dripping around.......................

here is my mizuno and my konosuke white. i might have gone overboard forcing the patina on the konosuke.

knives.jpg

Needed to mix it up with all the high-end patinas in here...the cheapies can look good too guys!

Seriously Fujiwara, make the exact same knives in white#2 or a semi-stainless and I'd be all over them.

Maybe so on the Konosuki, butt it does look very stylish! Almost an organic paisley!

i might have gone overboard forcing the patina on the konosuke.

It actually looks pretty interesting to me. Here is my Konosuke white#2 with natural patina over the last year...not a lot of blue though.

34gkh20.jpg

Maybe so on the Konosuki, butt it does look very stylish! Almost an organic paisley!

heh, yeah. the contrast has gone down with use (cutting roasts has particularly evened everything out), but the forced patina definitely did its job in terms of reactivity and food discoloration.

It actually looks pretty interesting to me. Here is my Konosuke white#2 with natural patina over the last year...not a lot of blue though.

34gkh20.jpg

i went with a couple layers of vinegar and then daubed mustard on basically at random. i think that natural patina looks really nice. how is reactivity with food?

Reactivity has been zero after the first month or so. I've been using my Konosuke 300 white#2 suji lately as my main knife, so this guy hasn't seen that much action recently...need to get him back in the game.

how do you like the Suji vs. the Gyuto? a suji is about the only style of knife i don't own...

I used to be the same...took me a year to get one, and I just got a cheap Fujiwara FKM 270 just to have one at the time. Then I started forcing myself to use as an everything knife, and I fell in love with the narrow blade. Since then, all I've really cared about is sujihikis and finding the perfect one...have a Konosuke HD 270 on order right now, but am probably going to keep the 300 too.

Give one a shot, you might just be a convert soon enough!

cool. i might put that on my list the next time i have knife money available.

Rubber cement and ground beef. I've since removed the patina.

misono1.jpg

It's gotten quite a bit darker and more even in the few weeks since I took this. And yes, I know the edge is crap, but I'm getting better!

Just for my own education, how could anyone tell that an edge is crap from a picture like that?

Latest posts

Back