Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kramer on ebay again.....

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    I gotta agree, the bolster is the one area I think Bob could improve on. Other makers do a better job.
    On the other hand, Kramer knives are very distinctive, while many other makers' knives look alike, and the handle has much to do with it.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    On the other hand, Kramer knives are very distinctive, while many other makers' knives look alike, and the handle has much to do with it.

M
    Then again, we can say that all rockets look alike. A distinctive-looking rocket probably wouldn't be a better rocket.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Then again, we can say that all rockets look alike. A distinctive-looking rocket probably wouldn't be a better rocket.
    Interesting analogy, but unlike rockets we aren't looking for pure function. Well, some of us aren't.

I didn't say it was better (the knife), but it is more distinctive and memorable. Plus, it comes with a story.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    I understand that his blades are world famous but am I the only one who finds the whole bolster technique on his knives to look cheap and cheesy ?

The brass to me looks ugly, ive checked out the SLT ones and of course they are not the same thing but they are also ugly.

There are makers on here who make knives that are far more attractive than the Kramers.
    Meh, I don't have any problems with the appearance or function of the bolsters or the brass used on the Kramers (custom and Zwilling). Like I said in the "ergonomic chefs knife" thread, distinctive looks that function well are hard to come by in knives, where simpler is usually better.

I will gladly take a brass Kramer bolster over the numerous knife makers who can't even get the basic size, proportions and taper of a octagonal wa handle correct.

In addition to being a knife nut, I happen to collect rockets. You're going to tell me that an Ariane 4 looks just like a Tsyklon-2A!?! Or a Saturn V? A Soyuz Launch vehicle is pretty distinctive, and for 2 years when the US Space Shuttle Fleet was grounded in '03-'05, only the Soyuz was able to make the trip to the international space station! Sounds like a better rocket to me!!!!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I'm not a fan of his Western handles but loved the Meji.
    +1, the Meji is still a little taller than I would like, but it is surprisingly comfortable. The western handles don't work for me at all.

I also don't like the brass, but, you can specify stainless bolsters when you order.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    I understand that his blades are world famous but am I the only one who finds the whole bolster technique on his knives to look cheap and cheesy ?

The brass to me looks ugly, ive checked out the SLT ones and of course they are not the same thing but they are also ugly.

There are makers on here who make knives that are far more attractive than the Kramers.
    is it just the shape of the bolster? because to me the color scheme looks like a Misono UX10, which so many of you (myself included) say is gorgeous. personnaly i LOVE the Zwilling Kramers handle/bolster, the only thing i dont like are the blade shapes. they're too bulky.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Just to be clear, I don't think it looks cheap and cheesy. Just say it's an area he could improve on.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    ...In addition to being a knife nut, I happen to collect rockets. You're going to tell me that an Ariane 4 looks just like a Tsyklon-2A!?! Or a Saturn V? A Soyuz Launch vehicle is pretty distinctive, and for 2 years when the US Space Shuttle Fleet was grounded in '03-'05, only the Soyuz was able to make the trip to the international space station! Sounds like a better rocket to me!!!!
    My bad, Johnny. I bow to your superior nerd power on this one. Are you a bullet nerd, too? Don't all those look basically the same?

No. Many different shapes and sizes for all occasions. I'm sporting Power Balls these days. Look much different than your hollowpoints or FMJ.