Kramer on ebay again.....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see this knife sold for $5800 and change.

It appears the buyer has it currently listed at $10K.
He previously listed it at 17K
It also appears the original buyer bought it solely for profit, seeing as how it was made last month.

They have become a commodity.

I understand that his blades are world famous but am I the only one who finds the whole bolster technique on his knives to look cheap and cheesy ?

The brass to me looks ugly, ive checked out the SLT ones and of course they are not the same thing but they are also ugly.

There are makers on here who make knives that are far more attractive than the Kramers.

I'm not a fan of his Western handles but loved the Meji.

I see this knife sold for $5800 and change.

It appears the buyer has it currently listed at $10K.
He previously listed it at 17K
It also appears the original buyer bought it solely for profit, seeing as how it was made last month.

They have become a commodity.

And they have made a financial bubble, as well. Kramer actually needs all the press he is getting to support the bubble his customers have created, so that when it pops, he won't be out of a living.

I saw a new one listed yesterday for Buy It Now $12,000.... I think I'd rather have a Hayabusa motorbike....or a vacation to a tropical island for my whole family.

I gotta agree, the bolster is the one area I think Bob could improve on. Other makers do a better job.

On the other hand, Kramer knives are very distinctive, while many other makers' knives look alike, and the handle has much to do with it.

M

On the other hand, Kramer knives are very distinctive, while many other makers' knives look alike, and the handle has much to do with it.

M

Then again, we can say that all rockets look alike. A distinctive-looking rocket probably wouldn't be a better rocket.

Then again, we can say that all rockets look alike. A distinctive-looking rocket probably wouldn't be a better rocket.

Interesting analogy, but unlike rockets we aren't looking for pure function. Well, some of us aren't.

I didn't say it was better (the knife), but it is more distinctive and memorable. Plus, it comes with a story. :)

I understand that his blades are world famous but am I the only one who finds the whole bolster technique on his knives to look cheap and cheesy ?

The brass to me looks ugly, ive checked out the SLT ones and of course they are not the same thing but they are also ugly.

There are makers on here who make knives that are far more attractive than the Kramers.

Meh, I don't have any problems with the appearance or function of the bolsters or the brass used on the Kramers (custom and Zwilling). Like I said in the "ergonomic chefs knife" thread, distinctive looks that function well are hard to come by in knives, where simpler is usually better.

I will gladly take a brass Kramer bolster over the numerous knife makers who can't even get the basic size, proportions and taper of a octagonal wa handle correct.

In addition to being a knife nut, I happen to collect rockets. You're going to tell me that an Ariane 4 looks just like a Tsyklon-2A!?! Or a Saturn V? A Soyuz Launch vehicle is pretty distinctive, and for 2 years when the US Space Shuttle Fleet was grounded in '03-'05, only the Soyuz was able to make the trip to the international space station! Sounds like a better rocket to me!!!!

I'm not a fan of his Western handles but loved the Meji.

+1, the Meji is still a little taller than I would like, but it is surprisingly comfortable. The western handles don't work for me at all.

I also don't like the brass, but, you can specify stainless bolsters when you order.

is it just the shape of the bolster? because to me the color scheme looks like a Misono UX10, which so many of you (myself included) say is gorgeous. personnaly i LOVE the Zwilling Kramers handle/bolster, the only thing i dont like are the blade shapes. they're too bulky.

...In addition to being a knife nut, I happen to collect rockets. You're going to tell me that an Ariane 4 looks just like a Tsyklon-2A!?! Or a Saturn V? A Soyuz Launch vehicle is pretty distinctive, and for 2 years when the US Space Shuttle Fleet was grounded in '03-'05, only the Soyuz was able to make the trip to the international space station! Sounds like a better rocket to me!!!!
My bad, Johnny. I bow to your superior nerd power on this one. Are you a bullet nerd, too? Don't all those look basically the same?

No. Many different shapes and sizes for all occasions. I'm sporting Power Balls these days. Look much different than your hollowpoints or FMJ.

maybe cars are better as we all like different styles adn colors but theyb all get us to where we need to go (less its a ford)
and maybe you need a bone cleaver 3500HD truck or a laser lotus :)

i have been told that no matter how ugly a knife might look in my eyes there will aways be a person that will say its perfect. good story about my first knife show and how i made a gag knife to joke on a friend that i had no planns on selling but it ended upn being the first on off the table (VIP hour in the AM) they loved it even if i didnt (it was still a great knife jsut not my style or color combo of choice )

Back