Rainbow Hakka

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgertooth

Reaction score
This was tricky to find. But I am rather glad I did. I know these are spoken of highly and I wanted to see if it justifies that reputation.

What I wasn't expecting was the beauty of it, I simply agreed to take it because it was the sellers last one. Who'd have foreseen the ketchup swirl through hot English mustard patterning?

First workout was the standard Watanabe test. It sloughed away at and beautifully buffed the cladding and put a most elegant edge on the knife.

An effortless shaving edge was very quickly established. The foundation for this edge was a previous day progression of hard Aoto and Aizu. In use it was slightly harder than I thought it would be and feels finer too than I expected. That's not to say it's hard, but I guess I was primed to expect a mudfest.

Next up was a ginsanko Tanaka with its soft cladding. This knife is pretty much getting the most luxurious thinning in the world every time I work behind the edge testing stones. But I've become slightly obsessed with it after being slightly meh about it. This left a sticky edge, the one that bites immediately into your fingerprint swirls.

Last was my Toyama, which has the highest heat treat of the three and it took a little work behind the bevel to get things cutting and generating mud. Toyama is traditionally clad with soft iron and the Hakka left a deep contrast between core and cladding. The edge also had a cleaner, more polished feel. I had already packed away the camera but will try in daylight.

I love this stone.

Beautiful & incredible stone, easy to see why your love it!

Looks great badger!! I love hakkas!!

Wow - stunning Hakka! And seems like it is a real performer...which is even more important. Congrats!

Cheers,
Blair

WOW!
Thats a real unicorn stone and i am also jealous ;) .. a sick Hakka is still on my wishlist but those things are so rare.
Also a very awesome review! much fun to read!

i wonder how much they differ from a good Ohira Uchigumori.

Seeya , daniel

Fantastic. You hadn't seen a photo of it when you bought it?

Fantastic. You hadn't seen a photo of it when you bought it?

Completely sight unseen. Leap of faith. Though only due to my idiocy, I reread the email from the vendor and he did actually attach some photos, I just didn't see them.

Toyama contrast. Yes, yes... patina and watermarks, bad Badger

Svelte looking Watanabe

Doi with deep contrast but lots of streaks, so maybe not a direct substitute for uchigumori. And possibly my ****** technique.

Toyama contrast. Yes, yes... patina and watermarks, bad Badger

Svelte looking Watanabe

Doi with deep contrast but lots of streaks, so maybe not a direct substitute for uchigumori. And possibly my ****** technique.

Man..if you drop that your toes are in for a treat.

As an aside, that Watanabe is a good looking knife!

Back