Please help me choose between these two pettys!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm having a real hard time picking which one I want and need some input please. My other work knives are a GG 240 gyuto and a cheapo (but works well) 110mm paring. I'd like to use a longer petty for cleaning tenderloins, slicing proteins,etc. on the line during service and the more delicate jobs that the gyuoto kust feels awkward doing.

It's between a Gesshin Ginga yo 180mm petty:

img_0043_11.jpg

Or a Suisin Inox Honyaki Wa-Petty 210mm:

ao48o.jpg

The GG is $55 cheaper, both come with sayas and the actual blade length of the Suisin should be closer the GG due to the wa handle factor, no? I've also never used a wa-handle knife if that helps. Thank you for the comments.

I'd go for a 210. I use mine for cleaning meat and occasionally slicing fish and steaks and it is perfect

Both great knives. Tough choice. Jon from JKI is due back tomorrow. Can you wait a day or so and get his input? He won't steer you wrong. And who knows? He might be coming back with a GG 210 petty...

The difference here is the steel. The Suisin should be more wear resistant and less tough due to higher carbide volume. The Gesshin should be tougher but less wear resistant. If you are grinding your edge against stuff, the Suisin would perform better, if you are mainly smacking your edge against stuff, the Gesshin would theoretically be better. With regard to handles, I put a bit more care in to my wa handles (oiling) and it is slightly harder to clean-up where the blade meets the handle but it's not bad. I would go with the Gesshin although I also tend to "go long."

Both great knives. Tough choice. Jon from JKI is due back tomorrow. Can you wait a day or so and get his input? He won't steer you wrong. And who knows? He might be coming back with a GG 210 petty...

Oh yeah, I forgot he was hangin' out with Ashi. Perhaps he did bring back some goodies :happy2:

Hey, that's a pic of my Suisin!

I think it is less of a steel issue here, as I'll bet the differences in use would be minimal. To me, it is much more of a yo vs. wa and length concern.

As you probably know, I love my 210 SIH, but I've mentioned it is so light and delicate that I think it would benefit from a yo-handle to make it feel a bit more robust/sturdier when cutting through certain things that require a bit more force...other than that though, it is great for me. The Gesshin is a bit shorter, but might fit you better if you looking for more of a true petty than a longer all-arounder. If you decide you are stuck on a yo-handle but don't want to sacrifice length, maybe you can have Jon see if they would make a 210 Kono HD petty with yo-handle...I've seen one, but I think it might of been a custom job.

Regardless, I think you'll be happy no matter what route you end up going.

i agree with cadillac j that you will be pleased with whatever you go with here.

for me the difference between a 150mm and a 180mm/210mm is a big enough difference but the difference between a 180mm and a 210mm is just personal preference. i wouldn't get caught up about length, steel, thinness, or handles...just get what you like the most. if money is a factor, consider it. i prefer a 180mm wa-petty to a 210mm wa-petty because i like it better, however, i dont work the line much these days. the only way you are going to really know is to get both :D

seriously though, if you haven't used a wa-handle before and want to try one out, a 210mm petty might due just that. i think that both of those knives would fit what you are looking for in their own respective categories. as far as using line knives and fabricating proteins, i would recommend a 180mm wa-petty because the wa handle will allow you hand to move a bit more freely which can be what is needed in doing work like that. sometimes yo handles do not allow for proper maneuvering which is why i believe them to be a handicap.

i have a beater 150mm wa-petty from takayuki and it does wonders with fabricating of small fish, whole goat, whole lamb, whole pig (well, cut in half), chickens, tenderloins, ribeyes, strip steaks and countless other tasks. i wish it was a 180mm and i am planning on getting one but the key with all that stuff was how nimble the knife can be in your hands.

sorry about the rant, sometimes i just get lost. good luck and i know you will enjoy either one but my recommendation would be a gesshin ginga 180mm wa-petty :D

Longer knife, wa handle... but yeah, wait and see if there's the Gesshin Ginga 210 wa-petty in stock come Monday. It's got much cooler logos. That's what's REALLY important!

Actually, I didn't know anything about the distinction between steels that tk59 is making when I bought the Gesshin Ginga. I have budgetary considerations that have stopped me from buying some Suisin knives before though. And then there's the ubercool Gesshin logo. Did I mention that? Must not forget that.

I have always preferred western handles. Steel and length aside, I would choose the gesshin just for th western handle alone.

Thanks guys for the detailed replies. I'll wait a couple days and see if I hear back from Mr. Broida before I make a decision. I'm really into the idea of a Gesshin 210 wa petty as my first intro into wa-handles.

Thanks guys for the detailed replies. I'll wait a couple days and see if I hear back from Mr. Broida before I make a decision. I'm really into the idea of a Gesshin 210 wa petty as my first intro into wa-handles.

I suggest you wait till you hear from him rather than wait to see 'if you do'. He knows the knives well and will be able to tell things about what you want that you can't tell, yourself. At least in my experience, he's that good a guide. I'm inordinately in love with mine, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be inordinately in love with the other choices too.

i think you also have to consider blade height. i might be mistaken, and jon will correct me if i'm wrong, but if you go yo-, then the blade height is taller than had you gone wa- for the same length. maybe i'm making that up, but i thought the last time when i was looking at them, that's what jon said ...

i think you also have to consider blade height. i might be mistaken, and jon will correct me if i'm wrong, but if you go yo-, then the blade height is taller than had you gone wa- for the same length. maybe i'm making that up, but i thought the last time when i was looking at them, that's what jon said ...

Mmmmm...,looking at the pics side by side, looks like the wa-handled GG has more knuckle room? (these are pics of the 180mm)

img_0043_11.jpg

img_00098.jpg

Back