Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blue 2 knives- Mizuno and Tanaka

Mizuno 270 wide bevel

Excuse the over-polished bevel. It was my first go at hamiguriba sharpening (actually turned out pretty well from a performance point of view).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-12-05 17.33.13.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	34074
    Name:  2016-12-05 16.59.59.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  5.5 KB

Looking for a signature that won't land me in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Or I'm wondering if it's just that my perspective is very much narrower.
    Just to clarify, by this I mean that maybe I just don't know what a really good workhorse is like.

Looking for a signature that won't land me in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Excuse the over-polished bevel. It was my first go at hamiguriba sharpening (actually turned out pretty well from a performance point of view).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-12-05 17.33.13.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	34074
    Name:  2016-12-05 16.59.59.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  5.5 KB
    Your miz looks way sweeter than mine. Mine was a lot thinner. I'm very jealous!

Konosuke Fujiyama B#1 for comparison

I'm drooling....

Are these mizuno's entirely different from the hontanren line?

Quote Originally Posted by khashy View Post
    I'm drooling....

Are these mizuno's entirely different from the hontanren line?
    Yes. Checkout jck for the difference http://japanesechefsknife.com/Hontan...html#Hontanren
    My miz(really really thin) is the "with shinogi line" model, the normal miz is thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Yes. Checkout jck for the difference http://japanesechefsknife.com/Hontan...html#Hontanren
    My miz(really really thin) is the "with shinogi line" model, the normal miz is thicker.
    I have been thinking about this a lot for the past few days.

I couldn't find any stainless clad that was in stock and I really liked, so I figured I'd just start looking for a normal clad knife.

My conundrum has been, do I go for a cost effective solution, which seems to be the Tanaka, by a mile, or do I save a bit more and shoot for a more 'high end' knife. Of the 'high end' stuff that could be within my means, the miz hontanren stood out to me (hence why I revived the thread).

What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by khashy View Post
    I have been thinking about this a lot for the past few days.

I couldn't find any stainless clad that was in stock and I really liked, so I figured I'd just start looking for a normal clad knife.

My conundrum has been, do I go for a cost effective solution, which seems to be the Tanaka, by a mile, or do I save a bit more and shoot for a more 'high end' knife. Of the 'high end' stuff that could be within my means, the miz hontanren stood out to me (hence why I revived the thread).

What would you do?
    Depends on the sort of knife you like. Miz and ks are both classics that go for a little over $300, then there's kochi that's a great deal thinner behind the edge(there's a stainless clad and carbon clad version). The heiji in semi stainless is an option. If you rock chop a lot tanaka is a totally decent knife.

Kochi being thinner than classic Mizuno that is, the
    Miz w shinogi has a very thin blade almost entirely whereas kochi has medium size blade with very thin bevel.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Depends on the sort of knife you like. Miz and ks are both classics that go for a little over $300, then there's kochi that's a great deal thinner behind the edge(there's a stainless clad and carbon clad version). The heiji in semi stainless is an option. If you rock chop a lot tanaka is a totally decent knife.
    I think the biggest problem is that my actual experience with different knives is pretty limited. So even though I know the pros and cons of the options you listed and I know aesthetically which ones appeal to me, I don't actually know what is practically suitable.

I have never for example used a wide bevel gyuto in anger and have not had an opportunity to handle a true laser.

I guess it's one of those cases where you just have to pick something and see how it feels, no way around it.