Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue 2 knives- Mizuno and Tanaka

Blue 2 knives- Mizuno and Tanaka

Hi everyone,

From afar, I've been eyeing some of James' Tanake Blue 2s (and, if I'm honest, R2s, and the G3s if they ever come back in stock ). Now he has a Mizuno Hontanren. Both knives seem to get a lot of love. Can anyone give a comparison of the two? Is the Mizuno a bit more of a heavyweight?

Thanks.

You won't get much answers here. Better ask the mods to move your thread to the 'kitchen knife' section.

Thanks Benuser. My mistake. How do I do that?

Moderator, could you please do as Benuser has suggested?

Thanks.

I have a tanaka KU blue that should arrive sometime today. I can share my impressions w you later if you like. I've owned a couple of miz gyutos in the past-I'll do my best to tell you what the differences are. Just looking at the specs I can tell
    You the miz has a thicker spine and is heavier, while the tanaka should be thinner but not thin behind the edge. Tanaka is a much taller knife.

Thanks L.O.L. I'd appreciate it.
    Looking for a signature that won't land me in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    I have a tanaka KU blue that should arrive sometime today. I can share my impressions w you later if you like. I've owned a couple of miz gyutos in the past-I'll do my best to tell you what the differences are. Just looking at the specs I can tell
    You the miz has a thicker spine and is heavier, while the tanaka should be thinner but not thin behind the edge. Tanaka is a much taller knife.

A year has gone by and we still await this comparison

Well I recently had a tanaka KU 240mm and a miz 270mm enter and exit my hands in a weeks time. Neither knife worked for me-although if the tanaka had a flatter profile I would've kept it. The mizunos that James had are the big bevel Mizuno line which are much thinner than the thaditiomal mizunos that I'm used to. The Mizuno has a great profile and thin grind but was too thin to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Well I recently had a tanaka KU 240mm and a miz 270mm enter and exit my hands in a weeks time. Neither knife worked for me-although if the tanaka had a flatter profile I would've kept it. The mizunos that James had are the big bevel Mizuno line which are much thinner than the thaditiomal mizunos that I'm used to. The Mizuno has a great profile and thin grind but was too thin to keep.
    What would you compare the thinness of the miz to? Just so that I can get an idea of just how thin we are talking

Maybe a tesshu or kono Fujiyama. Very thin compared to regular Mizuno Gyuto.