Quantcast
Takeda gyuto quality control question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Takeda gyuto quality control question

My Takeda (250mm gyuto) has the epoxy glob, which doesn't bother me in the slightest. Aside from that, it's perfect.

I like the epoxy blob.

it beats handle rot.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    I like the epoxy blob.
    Me too, it was great protection from any moisture getting in there. Then again, the epoxy was PERFECT from what I remember on your gyuto.

the 300mm takeda gyuto i had had a perfectly even epoxy blob around the tang. didn't bother me in the slightest.

My Takeda has had less use since I have been using the knives that I am making, but it still gets out and is a pleasure to use. I acquired mine earlier this year from CKTG and have no issues with it. I love the hand forged aspect and rustic appearance coupled with the amazing edge and cutting ability.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    My Takeda has had less use since I have been using the knives that I am making, but it still gets out and is a pleasure to use. I acquired mine earlier this year from CKTG and have no issues with it. I love the hand forged aspect and rustic appearance coupled with the amazing edge and cutting ability.
    i really liked the rustic appearance, too. i need to get a suji first, but i think i may just snag a 240 Takeda afterwards. thanks guys!

Between me and coworkers, there are three different Takedas at my job. Mine came from Salty, and its a few years old. I have noticed a slight overgrind at the heel, and the taper is not even from side to side, following the blade spin. Plus, the bendy thing has always bothered me. It does take a superior thin edge, though.

My buddy has Marios old thinned and rehandled Takeda. It has a completely different profile and geometry than mine, and is shorter, even though they're both 240's supposedly.

Another guy has a newer version. I would attest the quality is no different than the others....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

hmmm. thanks!