Takeda gyuto quality control question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
I owned one of the cktg special gyutos, and the dimensions didn't work out for me (it was a 300mm knife, not a 270, with all the associated issues), but i liked the knife, and i still like the looks of them. however, i keep seeing that current Takedas aren't as nice as ones from several years ago, and that QC is a problem. how much of a chance is there getting a good one, these days? i'd be interested in a 240 gyuto.

I've had two Takedas: 240 gyuto and a 240 kiritsuke-gyuto

The gyuto seemed perfect from a build quality perspective...it had no flex, great finish and just a solid all-around construction. I loved everything about it except for the tall blade and curve of the profile, so I sold it to Seb a while back. At the time, I figured if I could have the exact same knife but with a flat profile and shorter blade height, it could be the ultimate for me...so the kiritsuke-gyuto called my name.

However, the kiritsuke-gyuto was a bit of a different animal. It doesn't have as nice of a kurouchi finish(almost has 'dry spots' in some parts?), has a lot of flex in the blade, and just overall doesn't have the solid feel like my previous gyuto. I still like it, but it was different than I expected it to be and seemed like it was made with a bit less care and attention to detail as the gyuto.

I've only seen one Takeda. A 240 gyuto bought about 2 yrs ago, iirc. I had no problems with it.

The gyuto I got from J is outstanding! It would take Seal Team Six or the SAS to take it off me. :D

I also have a 240 that's a couple years old. It's tall at the heel for sure, but fit and finish are good and geometry is perfect (extremely thin above the bevel). Cuts like a demon, and I can live with the tallness.

I have the 240 that I think tk59 was talking about...no problems at all. Although I think what they're charging now is a little on the steep side.

I have the 240 that I think tk59 was talking about...no problems at all. Although I think what they're charging now is a little on the steep side.

yeah, i probably should have bought a second (regular one) before the price changed.

...It's tall at the heel for sure, but fit and finish are good and geometry is perfect (extremely thin above the bevel). Cuts like a demon, and I can live with the tallness.
It has looks that only a parent could tolerate but this pretty much sums it up. If I remember correctly, sticking wasn't bad either, esp. considering how thin it is. I think the cladding is a little more reactive than I'd like. It is one of two knives that developed rust spots under my care. (My shig being in another league altogether...)

There have been a number of issues reported with Takeda: handles installed incorrectly, globs of epoxy at the tang, metal that can be easily bent, and so on. If you buy from a reputable dealer, then you should be able to find a good Takeda.

Part of the appeal of Takeda, was getting a hand crafted knife, with AS steel, at a good price. Now that the prices have risen, the interesting characteristics, are not so interesting.

Jay

My Takeda (250mm gyuto) has the epoxy glob, which doesn't bother me in the slightest. Aside from that, it's perfect.

I like the epoxy blob.

Me too, it was great protection from any moisture getting in there. Then again, the epoxy was PERFECT from what I remember on your gyuto.

the 300mm takeda gyuto i had had a perfectly even epoxy blob around the tang. didn't bother me in the slightest.

My Takeda has had less use since I have been using the knives that I am making, but it still gets out and is a pleasure to use. I acquired mine earlier this year from CKTG and have no issues with it. I love the hand forged aspect and rustic appearance coupled with the amazing edge and cutting ability.

My Takeda has had less use since I have been using the knives that I am making, but it still gets out and is a pleasure to use. I acquired mine earlier this year from CKTG and have no issues with it. I love the hand forged aspect and rustic appearance coupled with the amazing edge and cutting ability.

i really liked the rustic appearance, too. i need to get a suji first, but i think i may just snag a 240 Takeda afterwards. thanks guys!

Between me and coworkers, there are three different Takedas at my job. Mine came from Salty, and its a few years old. I have noticed a slight overgrind at the heel, and the taper is not even from side to side, following the blade spin. Plus, the bendy thing has always bothered me. It does take a superior thin edge, though.

My buddy has Marios old thinned and rehandled Takeda. It has a completely different profile and geometry than mine, and is shorter, even though they're both 240's supposedly.

Another guy has a newer version. I would attest the quality is no different than the others....

Back