Quantcast
How delicate are end grain cutting boards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How delicate are end grain cutting boards

How delicate are end grain cutting boards

Hi

Studying end grain boards there is a lot of talk that if you dont clean any water off them immediately after use that they can crack. Im not rough or abusive but ive had one board crack on me already due to nothing more than cleaning it under a running tap and not drying it well enough.

Should i steer clear of real wood and goto a synthetic board ?

Alan

What kind of wood was the board? How thick was it? Who was the maker?

Where did you see "a lot of talk" ?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    What kind of wood was the board? How thick was it? Who was the maker?
    I beleive it is maple, not sure of the maker, it was purchased from a reputable professional cookware shop, not high street

A good end grain cutting board shouldn't crack on you. For the price of a good knife, you should be able to buy a great board that lasts for decades, if it's properly cared for.

If made well,end-grain boards are very durable and will last decades with minimum care. You can't get a better surface for cutting than end-grain board from woods like walnut, maple, cherry and even white oak. Thickness 2".

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Where did you see "a lot of talk" ?
    Seriously, lol.

You can read all sorts of stuff out there on the interwebs!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

If an end-grain board is not treated with oil, and comes in contact with water and absorbs some (say, you got an untreated board and decided to wash it), it will warp.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Engorged Member
    If it bothers you enough, just buy a poly board and some Shuns. You can put both in the dishwasher! That's what they told me at Williams-Sonoma.