Quantcast
How delicate are end grain cutting boards - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How delicate are end grain cutting boards

Sticky this board stuff, if it isn't already...

... seriously.

Keep it well oiled and you'll be fine. My board has survived several encounters with Pesky. 'Nuff said. ...and it has the scars to prove it.

My wife has left plenty of puddles on my board, it never cracks or warps. Some even sit long enough to evaporate if we are on different schedules, never a problem. Mineral oil and board wax.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    My wife has left plenty of puddles on my board, it never cracks or warps. Some even sit long enough to evaporate if we are on different schedules, never a problem. Mineral oil and board wax.
    bingo.

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    Problems will happen if a board is allowed to sit in a few drops of water while on a counter top. The water causes the wood to swell quicker than the surrounding dryer wood and cracks, splits or curls may occur. Water left on top of a board rarely causes a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by The BoardSMITH View Post
    Problems will happen if a board is allowed to sit in a few drops of water while on a counter top. The water causes the wood to swell quicker than the surrounding dryer wood and cracks, splits or curls may occur. Water left on top of a board rarely causes a problem.
    OK, Thanks

Thats what happened, the bottom of the board warped and cracked, The answer to this issue then is to buy a board with feet to ensure circulation all around ?

Correct ?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    OK, Thanks

Thats what happened, the bottom of the board warped and cracked, The answer to this issue then is to buy a board with feet to ensure circulation all around ?

Correct ?

Alan
    Or add them.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

The thicker the board the more forgiveness (assuming it is made well), but I have some thinner boards and they are more sensitive to moisture. I have had almost no problems though because I take care of them well. I place the boards on rubber matts that I cut to fit (I don't like fee) , dry my boards relatively quickly, keep them oiled, and store them properly.

But in the summer I have cut some very juicy tomatoes on them (the thinner ones) and left the tomatoes too long. Some some warpage occurred in this case, but they always 'bounced' back. Just remember that moisture isn't just water -- it can also be juicy summer fruit.

If you don't have feet on a board, you can also use thinner rubbermaid matts.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

My "board" is 24" x 24" x 16" of rock maple. Ain't gonna warp or split anytime soon.

James

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by jheis View Post
    My "board" is 24" x 24" x 16" of rock maple. Ain't gonna warp or split anytime soon.

James
    And when you aren't cutting food on it, you can use it as a computer desk!

+ Reply to Thread