Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: How delicate are end grain cutting boards

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    537
    Sticky this board stuff, if it isn't already...

    ... seriously.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,193
    Keep it well oiled and you'll be fine. My board has survived several encounters with Pesky. 'Nuff said. ...and it has the scars to prove it.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central NC
    Posts
    621
    My wife has left plenty of puddles on my board, it never cracks or warps. Some even sit long enough to evaporate if we are on different schedules, never a problem. Mineral oil and board wax.

  4. #14
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    4,013
    Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    My wife has left plenty of puddles on my board, it never cracks or warps. Some even sit long enough to evaporate if we are on different schedules, never a problem. Mineral oil and board wax.
    bingo.

  5. #15
    Still Plays With Blocks
    DWSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    Posts
    571
    Problems will happen if a board is allowed to sit in a few drops of water while on a counter top. The water causes the wood to swell quicker than the surrounding dryer wood and cracks, splits or curls may occur. Water left on top of a board rarely causes a problem.
    David - Formerly The BoardSMITH
    Now just retired and looking for work

  6. #16
    Senior Member welshstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by The BoardSMITH View Post
    Problems will happen if a board is allowed to sit in a few drops of water while on a counter top. The water causes the wood to swell quicker than the surrounding dryer wood and cracks, splits or curls may occur. Water left on top of a board rarely causes a problem.
    OK, Thanks

    Thats what happened, the bottom of the board warped and cracked, The answer to this issue then is to buy a board with feet to ensure circulation all around ?

    Correct ?

    Alan

  7. #17
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    OK, Thanks

    Thats what happened, the bottom of the board warped and cracked, The answer to this issue then is to buy a board with feet to ensure circulation all around ?

    Correct ?

    Alan
    Or add them.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    mr drinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,536
    The thicker the board the more forgiveness (assuming it is made well), but I have some thinner boards and they are more sensitive to moisture. I have had almost no problems though because I take care of them well. I place the boards on rubber matts that I cut to fit (I don't like fee) , dry my boards relatively quickly, keep them oiled, and store them properly.

    But in the summer I have cut some very juicy tomatoes on them (the thinner ones) and left the tomatoes too long. Some some warpage occurred in this case, but they always 'bounced' back. Just remember that moisture isn't just water -- it can also be juicy summer fruit.

    If you don't have feet on a board, you can also use thinner rubbermaid matts.

    k.
    Danny 'Zwiefel' Owen - 1971-2016 Moderator and Knife Knut for Eternity. RIP

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wine Country, CA
    Posts
    69
    My "board" is 24" x 24" x 16" of rock maple. Ain't gonna warp or split anytime soon.

    James

  10. #20
    Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by jheis View Post
    My "board" is 24" x 24" x 16" of rock maple. Ain't gonna warp or split anytime soon.

    James
    And when you aren't cutting food on it, you can use it as a computer desk!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •