Quantcast
Light Rust on KU
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Rust on KU

Light Rust on KU

I've been primarily using two knives for the past couple of weeks. Both knives are KU, one Yamawaku nakiri and the other a Carter IP KU gyuto. Both knives performing are beautifully, other than one major problem...they have developed a light rust throughout the entire KU portions of the blades.
    I'm very familiar with carbon blades, and I'm really quite anal about how I care for them. My three other carbon blades I use (SK4, I believe, Swedish Carbon, and white 2) have zero rust, and other than a tiny spot that popped up on my Misono, I've never had an issue with it before.
    My wife came up with a hypothesis that perhaps the softened water (salt pellets added into the softener, if I'm not mistaken) that I have been forced into using to wash the knives due to where I'm staying throughout the week could be to blame.
    Has anyone had this happen/does anyone here use carbon blades an have a water softener? I'm wondering if my smart (and pretty) wife might just be onto something.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

When something changes, the first place to look is usually the last thing changed.......
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I can't figure out how my underwear could cause rust, but it's a start. :P
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Salt speeds up corrosion through the redox reaction. You might be on to something here.

And thanks for changing your underwear.

I thought light rust is the normal state of affairs on KU knives...

Stefan

Out there ya lol. I have not had the opportunity to work in soft water areas so can't comment on how it changes things. But I would not rule it out.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I thought light rust is the normal state of affairs on KU knives...

Stefan
    Heartily agreed with two moritakas

Quote Originally Posted by G-rat View Post
    Heartily agreed with two moritakas
    Agree, if the KU isn't lacquered then it is almost inevitable.

I guess I'm a bit more nuts about my knives as I don't get rust, so far. Now if I was on the line and ran off for any length of time I would see an effect, but at home I haven't and they are (almost) all KU knives. Of course they have a long natural patina growth, that may have something to do with it.

Untill that development of patina has really set in I suggest a mineral oil (or others) wipedown if not in use regularly, some KU finishes are thirsty and this help them dispace water instead of holding it.

So many times I think my carbon knives are rusting but it is just patina. I think my Watanabe rusted a little and I cleaned it up but honestly I don't even know what rust looks like on carbons. Anyone care to give a few pointers?

+ Reply to Thread