Makers known to make their own suminagashi, and makers always using S grinds?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LifeByA1000Cuts

Reaction score
Are there any lists hidden in the archives, couldn't find them...

These two things never get clearly mentioned in catalogs... hand folded or industrially rolled suminagashi ("hand folded" as in handmade by the smith or under his direction, not just a rolled damascus sheet folded around a core :), and S-grinds of varying types present or not. There's occasional tidbits of info strewn around, but...

Even with Takeda and Shigefusa, it isn't clear if ALL or SOME knife series are made with an S grind in the shapes that can take advantage of it ...

I think somewhere it said "carbon suminagashi, most of the time fully hand folded; stainless, mostly not.", is that accurate?

Suminagashi is the Birdseye looking pattern that will be done to laminated steel by distorting in certain ways to manipulate the layers , carbon you can do by hand although many will use powehammer or presses , suminagashi in stainless is doable , different method of welding is needed
Neither of the knives you mentioned have suminagashi patterns on any I have seen .
Shigs have their version of Damascus under Kita eji but pattern is not same as suminagashi

Yep, the makers I mentioned were about S-grinds, the other big eternal non-clarity :)

Powerhammer or his own press or by hand, that is all something I'd call "under the smith's direction" as opposed to using an outsourced laminate. And I was referring to how the laminate was made, I guess I was causing more confusion by not using the term damascus (to avoid confusion with wootz and coreless)....

I think I've read rumours about Anryu-san's suminagashi/damascus being of the fully smith-made variety, is that even feasible given that some of his knives sell in the $100-$250 price range?

It seems Anryu pumps out knives for like everybody who retails on the internet and then some... it would be crazy if he didn't use premade/outsourced laminate? Unless he has a ton of apprentices working on that stuff?

It would be interesting to find out which ones are producing their own suminigashi, san mai, warikomi, and which ones are buying it already laminated.

Just do yoursel a favour and buy a suminigashi from Mert. 😀😁😉

That's where "hand folded" is ambigous... saying that if using a sanmai laminate would be plain fraud, saying it if making sanmai from 2 laminates and 1 core, or warikomi from 1 laminate 1 core would be just using language to your advantage :)

Some smiths might "hand fold" pre-rolled suminagashi around a steel core themselves.
Many layers to this onion. Caveat emptor!

@Dan. P yes, that is exactly what I was getting at. Nothing wrong with them doing it, but rather tired of resellers not bothering to know which is which and intentionally being ambigous.

Back