beater most used knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
anybody else find that they use their beater knife more than any other in their kit?
the busier it gets, the less i use my good knives. =\

i didnt really like misono dragon at first, but i've forced patina, thinned and reprofiled and now i use it everyday (even let my cooks use it)

The "middle of the road", workhorse knives tend to get used most :) And it's a mood thing again - consider thai pastes (getting all the stuff mortar ready). One can dice/push-slice it all into compliance with a good knife or twohand-mince it to hell with a beater.... done both plenty of times..

The actually blunt beaters tend to get used most for raw pastry work.

BTW, ultimate beater-de-beater: Kiwi 813 :)

I use the house beater knives that mostly sit around unused, there's some stainless cleaver I always go for amongst the sams club chef knives. Used it today for frozen fruit and slicing crappy brownies. I've almost considered putting a halfway decent edge on it.

Use my hhh knife protech, kind of a mid light weight short gyuto. It was cheapish and is basically maintenance free. I had the handle scales re attached after a mishap and couldn't be happier. If works slow I grab my cleaver for practice or maybe some other blade. Vip diners done in front of guests I use something fancy.

Lately wakui has been my beater. It's cheap really thin behind the edge and I'm not too worried if it gets damaged cuz I feel like I already got my money's worth out of it(probably lost 4mm in height from sharpening).

Favorite thin beaters because I like their completely tongue-in-cheek branding: Samura Harakiri :)

didnt really like misono dragon at first, but i've forced patina, thinned and reprofiled and now i use it everyday (even let my cooks use it)

That beater knife is nicer than a lot of cooks' best knives.

Kochmesser-20-cm-Zwilling-Pro.jpg

takes a beating and never complains

@paulraphael hey, maybe we need look at it as a tool that has been made appropriate for the job, rather than an inappropriate one shoehorned into it.

I always have a masakage mizu with me if I need a beater knife. They are cheap, nice edge and I love the profile. I already done with two of them and I am starting with my 3 th. 😊

They might end as a yanagiba if overdoing the asymmetry when sharpening.

I think using sharpened down good quality gyutos as sujis is actually a thing in japan?

My daily beater is a semi-production 240mm AEBL HHH Gyuto. I've re-profiled down to about 12 degrees per side and it hold an edge very well though pretty much every daily cutting chores. Keep in mind that it is only for home use but it is a great every day beater!!

so i ordered kom kom and penguin hoping one of them is slightly higher quality than kiwi to use as ultra beaters (for when a cook needs to borrow a knife basically).

WP_20170204_00_24_57_Pro_zpsbhkuugy6.jpg~original

from unopened initial view, penguin looks to be the better knife. but kom kom is thicker so there is potential for tweaking (need to seriously regrind that awful striation marked secondary bevel) where as there's no hope for something as thin as the penguin.

results will follow once i've put them through rigorous beatage.

depending on how busy it is, i will use my nice knives on the line, kept in a saya.

Back