looking for a 210 gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopperHarley

Reaction score
I´m looking for a 210 gyuto more on the laser side, i already have a 240 tadafusa which i like but sometimes i wish it would be thinner like my tanaka santoku, i would get the 210 gyuto version from it but i want something with more of a flat spot, the tanaka seems to have not that much

From what i´ve read i like the Ashi Hamono and the ikazuchi from Jon but that seems to have more of a belly to if i´m right

Germany

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto
Are you right or left handed?
Left handed but i don´t mind D-shaped ones
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
i would prefer a wa-handle, preferably octagonal
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210mm
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
stainless clad would be nice but not necessary
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
about 200€

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
mostly home

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

Thanks a lot

The thin blade / long flat spot features seem to be rarely paired together for some reason?

Since you like your Tanaka santoku, the Itinomonn (semi) StainLess Kasumi 210 from JNS could work for you. I have the Itinomonn 240 gyuto and It's about the same thickness that my Tanaka Damascus VG10 240 gyuto (which I sold a few weeks a go) and they both have very well made convex grinds. The itinomonn is very thin behind the edge which gives it laser type cutting characteristics and the grind adds good food release AND it has nice flat spot (maybe about 50% of the blade length?).

There is the Shiro Kamo B2 Migaki from Cleancut I keep raving about. It is the thinnest gyuto I've ever seen (even thinner than my Takamura R2) and I just love the profile with it's long flat spot (around 70%) and it's versatile tip. Unfortunately it comes only in 240 size. (...Although it is very light and nimble. ;) )

i had the itinomonn stainless 210 in my cart when there was the discount and i deeply regret not pulling the trigger :biggrin: , same for the shiro kamo migaki but i wanted a shorter one. maybe i get the 240 shiro kamo migaki and the 210 itinomonn, also the shiro kamo damascus should be a good one to but in comparison with the migaki its to expensive to me

The Itinomonn is a great knife but I don't think anyone would confuse it with being a laser. To me the term evokes Ginga, Suisin IH and Tadasuna INOX. And I'm sure there are a couple more than I've not met.

The Tanaka G are very thin but not a laser. (And have a little belly) If the OP wants thin and flat in the same knife maybe a Nakiri is in order?

i have a nakiri and i like it but i prefer a gyuto over nakiri or santoku.
Suisin IH, Konosuke, and Ginga are what i´m looking for but with import tax it´s to expensive and i can´t find them in the eu for the price i´m going for

i have a nakiri and i like it but i prefer a gyuto over nakiri or santoku.
Suisin IH, Konosuke, and Ginga are what i´m looking for but with import tax it´s to expensive and i can´t find them in the eu for the price i´m going for

Theres a Konosuke 240mm for a very fair price on the B/S/T forum! I think it's a very good option.

I guess on a certain German forum ten people would be telling you "check what Schanz can do for you" :) And maybe in this case, they'd be right....

EDIT: sry, misread the budget... or maybe not - He is usually considered willing to do modifications to knives bought from other makers for a fair fee, "buy knife X and send it to Schanz to do do Y to it" is regularly read in that community...

thanks vancouverguy haven´t seen that one. but i´m not sure with shipping and maybe tax it would be over the budget but i have no experience with tax from a private purchase and can´t really find something on the internet about it

I was thinking a kotetsu R2 would be lazer like, but food release is an issue and the pointy tip can be delicate.

I'd personally go the itonomonn. I've bought the 240 stainless and it is half lazer, half middle weight workhorse. It's definitely cuts like a laze then half way up the grind thickens for decent food release. It benefits by being nice and rigid with the thicker spine. All credit to Maxim for making that life awesome.

i had the itinomonn stainless 210 in my cart when there was the discount and i deeply regret not pulling the trigger :biggrin: , same for the shiro kamo migaki but i wanted a shorter one. maybe i get the 240 shiro kamo migaki and the 210 itinomonn, also the shiro kamo damascus should be a good one to but in comparison with the migaki its to expensive to me

That's the best idea I've heard in a long time. :doublethumbsup:
I'm sure you'd be happy with either. (...or both?) :D

Btw the Shiro Kamo Damascus is very different from the Migaki. It's much thicker and heavier, also I believe the profile is quite different with less of a flat spot. Just a heads up since you were after a thinner knife. It's still not heavy or thick. Close to the Itinomonn StainLess and Tanaka Damascus.

I have no experience with the Shiro Kamo Damascus, but it's probably just as lovely as the four other Kamos I have. The price for the Damascus was raised just a few weeks ago. That explains some of the price difference with the Migaki and unfortunately the Migaki will follow shortly.

@Zetieum shameless sidetrack question: Is personal collection on weekend (thus having no packaging hassle etc.) an acceptable shipping option with your offers?

@LifeByA1000Cuts : definitively, in this case, my offer will be enhanced with a (or few) Kölsch and some knife/stone testing :)

@zetieum not in the market for a 240 atm but you seem to have interesting stuff for sale from time to time...

So i made a decision and now the shiro kamo migaki is on the way and it was the last one
@JaVa atleast i`m honest to myself :biggrin:
Do you have the damscus version because in a german review it was described as a laser, yes i saw the price increase aswell thats why i had to order the migaki, damn marketing :laugh:

So i made a decision and now the shiro kamo migaki is on the way and it was the last one
Do you have the damscus version because in a german review it was described as a laser, yes i saw the price increase aswell thats why i had to order the migaki, damn marketing :laugh:

Good call! :doublethumbsup:
I can't wait to hear your reaction when you get it.

Cleancut seemed to take it down from their webstore? Aren't they going to restock them anymore? Or did Kamo stop making them? Because so far if they've run oos of anything they've never taken it of the store unless they wouldn't get more? You just might have got the last ever?

I don't have the damascus, but I have the Black Dragon 220 which has the same thickness and weighs the same as the 220 damascus. I've seen some folks call the Black Dragon a laser too, but it's not. I think the laser card gets thrown around way too easily and maybe guys haven't got experience with a laser. So anything under half a meter thick cleaver gets called a laser. :lol2:

The 240 BD and 240 damascus are both around 1.8 mm thick at the middle of the blade and they both weigh a little over 180g. So they are thin-ish, but not lasers. More like light middleweights. There's a significant difference compared to the Migakis laser busting 1.1mm and 150g.

For some Germans, everything thinner than a yo-deba is a laser :) But there seems to be a general rule that damascus/suminagashi is on the thicker side compared to plain kasumi/migaki from the same maker...

good to know i always thought they would be like the migaki just with the benefit of the stainless cladding but yes that makes sense
@JaVa i will post a picture when it arrives and tell you how i like it, i asked about restocking them but he told me that they won´t restock them because the price would increase by 30%, so looks like i just got the last one from cleancut and the last cheap one

good to know i always thought they would be like the migaki just with the benefit of the stainless cladding but yes that makes sense
@JaVa i will post a picture when it arrives and tell you how i like it, i asked about restocking them but he told me that they won´t restock them because the price would increase by 30%, so looks like i just got the last one from cleancut and the last cheap one

The damascus is actually full carbon also, not SS clad.
Even with the 30% price increase, it would mean the migaki would still cost only about 170€ and it would still be very well priced IMO. It's easily worth that so funny they want to discontinue the line. But good for you for getting the last cheap one! :thumbsup:

Oh, i will get mine tomorrow ;)
I guess i got Lucky....

Already played with it a little. It's pretty much what i expected after reading some reviews. For 130 bucks it's a bargain, only comparable to tanaka regarding price/performance imo... even the f&f is way better than what you would expect in that price range:doublethumbsup:

Already played with it a little. It's pretty much what i expected after reading some reviews. For 130 bucks it's a bargain, only comparable to tanaka regarding price/performance imo... even the f&f is way better than what you would expect in that price range:doublethumbsup:

All that plus my favourite profile of any knife I've handled.

So today it arrived and i really like it, in comparison to the tadafusa it looks like a sword although they are both 240mm but it feels more nimble wich i missed on the tadafusa. F&F is also great. And the handle feels really good i was sure when i ordered it that i would switch the handle but now i´m not so sure anymore. All in all i´m really glad that i got one, thanks for the help and i will post a picture in the newest buy thread tomorrow

Congrats on a great knife! :thumbsup:

Yeah, the handle too is surprisingly nice. The knife does look significant because it's oversized at 245 and blade is taller than your average 240 gyuto. It's still very nimble due to how thin and light it is.

Cut anything with it yet?

I've been playing with some new knives recently so mine hadn't gotten much attention lately, but a week ago I took it to work and I've been having a blast with it.

haven´t cut much just a carrot, onion and a few tomatoes, but i have to be honest the ootb edge isn´t that sharp, i even would say the worst out of my "better" knives but i´m optimistic that the stones will fix that :biggrin:

I'm not sure if the grind is the same, but I love my R2 Shiro Kamo. Lovely balance of food release and thinness behind the edge for a middleweight knife and quite thin at the tip.

Back