• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

kato, shig, nenohi, and ittosai

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orange

Reaction score
Time has come for me to depart with some of the knives that I still have to fund my other hobby.
All the knives are new, near new conditions. Price includes paypal and CONUS shipping.
One thing to note is I have a habit of applying tung oil on a handle and a saya. So, unless stated otherwise, please assume knife handles and sayas have the oil applied. None of the knives cut any food (except one or two cut my finger when I was checking edge.)

I can ship out a knife on Monday if you buy before, otherwise the earliest shipping out is on next Wed.

From left(top) to right(bottom) depending on how the picture right below is shown on your screen.
1. Shigefusa kasumi 180mm usuba with saya (new, no tung-oil applied) $375
2. Shigefusa kasumi 270mm takobiki no saya (new) $400
3. Kato Damascus 240mm gyuto (non JNS version) $900
This knife has a beautiful Damascus pattern.
It is 240mm but compared to a workhorse version from JNS, it’s shorter for both height and length. I was into mirror polish at one point and did not like the hazy finish.
Some part of the other side was tested with fine sandpaper to see what level of polish I get.
I did not finish the job and left the knife as it is in a drawer.
4. Ittosai Damascus 300mm yanagiba with ebony handle and ebony saya $600
Stock knife edge is horrible and I might have touched it on a stone for micro bevel
5. Shigefusa kitaeji 300mm yanagiba with saya – My heart is broken by thinking of letting it go while I am typing this sale post. I don’t want to sell this knife until all the other knives get sold first.
6. Kato kasumi 330mm kensaki yanagiba no saya $1300
This is thinner than regular tip kato yanagiba. It will be very difficult to find the same type of Kato in the market.
7. Ittosai 330mm mizu honyaki (blue steel) by Kenichi Shiraki with ebony saya $1000
Light wavy hamon is present on the surface but hard to show in pictures.
It is really a great mighty feel yanagiba.
No edge out of the box; I touched it on a stone but immediately realized I better not mess up.
You will see some stone marks on the edge but nothing big.
I removed the handle (epoxied) and in the process there’s a minor visible crack on the ferrule but no functional issue. I will send close up pictures of it by email to those show interest.
The picture at the bottom shows the kanji mark for the maker – Shiraki san.
8. Nenohi mizu honyaki (white steel) with ebony handle and ebony saya $1700
I believe this knife was made in late 90s or early 2000s and is a true masterpiece of Sakai’s honyaki. One the soft side of the steel, minor scratches are present. I got the knife like that.

shot for the list

with saya if any

close up

boxes

Ittosai honyaki

Helluva spread. GLWS and enjoy the financial windfall!

You willing to let the Kato Damascus and Shig kitaeji Yana go together?

Doh. Too late for the takobiki

kato damascus spf.
I will be back later tonight,

Thank god I missed this thread.. haha, in the unlikely chance the Kato falls through, I'm happy to take it haha

kato damascus sold.

shig kitaeji yanagiba spf

I still have
kato kensaki yanagiba, two ittosais, and nenohi

I clearly see the bias of this forum toward shig, kato and gyuto. :)

I am lowering the price of remaining knives to:
Kato kensaki yanagiba $1250
Ittosai 300mm damascus $550 (check the price of ebony handle and ebony saya, mispriced? let me know)
Ittosai 330mm blue steel mizu honyaki $900
Nenohi white steel mizu honyaki $1500 (once again, check the price of the saya that comes with this knife)

bump.
by the way, the marks on Kato kensaki yanagi face is just mineral oil. you can just wipe it off

Soooo tempted by the kato yanagi, but I have almost zero need for one.

Soooo tempted by the kato yanagi, but I have almost zero need for one.

when I bought it, I did not either. :)
I don't know how many of the same type got sold unofficially but I only know two of those were sold; mine was not even on the market either. Its spine thickness is on thinner side in between a takohiki and a yanagiba. So, it is a great slicer and rare item but if you like a beefy yanagiba like the ittosai that I am also selling, it is not for you.

Kato kensaki sold. Other knives are still available.

Back