Dave M custom v Hattori FH v Konosuke HD v Gesshin Ginga 300mm Yo Handle Suji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
58 posts with 22 of them being new threads?! Did Dave hire you to help pump the forum stats or something?!

Anyways, for me I'd pick a Martell because it's the only carbon knife you listed (and also, it's a custom. And made by a forum member. And comes with free lifetime sharpening).

After that I'd get the HD, followed by the Ginga, followed by the Hattori.

Anyways, for me I'd pick a Martell... After that I'd get the HD, followed by the Ginga, followed by the Hattori.
+1 Although my reasoning is a little different. I'd get the Martell first because I've heard some good things about it. The rest is icing.

i feel like the cost for the martell is higher than the others, so is this really a fair comparison? and i'm not saying it's an auto-win for martell either (i have no idea about dave's knives yet - haven't read enough reviews). the HD is a forum favorite since its release - hard to go wrong with one of those.

You are asking for preference between carbon, stainless, wa/yo handle, and gyuto/suji in the same post. Are you just wanting to try another knife or is this for a specific task?

You are asking for preference between carbon, stainless, wa/yo handle, and gyuto/suji in the same post. Are you just wanting to try another knife or is this for a specific task?

+1. This is a little confusing as to purpose of post. They're they're all different classes/types of knives.

I'm not sure what you all are talking about. A 300 suji is a designated slicer unless your a mountain man from Montana or something. :wink: All are thin blades (other than the Hattori which is a little thicker)... Am I missing something?

58 posts with 22 of them being new threads?! Did Dave hire you to help pump the forum stats or something?!

Anyways, for me I'd pick a Martell because it's the only carbon knife you listed (and also, it's a custom. And made by a forum member. And comes with free lifetime sharpening).

After that I'd get the HD, followed by the Ginga, followed by the Hattori.

All of the above, +1.

I'm just glad it's not another 180mm gyuto thread.... :bat:

Really though, a 300mm suji is a big ass knife.
I guess I'm just curious why you need/want one.

"Uh yes, I'll take the smurf gyuto aaannnddd... the katana."
:rasberry:

Thanks

OK, its clear from the responses to this thread that the forum has run out of patience with me trying to understand all the different nuances of knives. I fully understand that i ask a lot of dumb questions that can be repetitive and weird,but i will be the first to admit im over compulsive about exploring every angle and option before buying anything. I will stop posting any more generic questions just to get thoughts and stimulate threads.

Just in my defence, since starting 2 months ago I have ordered product from CKTG, EE and Japan Blades. I am currently working with Boardsmith and Marko on further order.

I have seen on other forums where a poster becomes humourous to the core of that forum, I can see that im either there or quickly getting there so i know its time to quit.

Ill just watch from a distance

Alan

Thanks

OK, its clear from the responses to this thread that the forum has run out of patience with me trying to understand all the different nuances of knives. I fully understand that i ask a lot of dumb questions that can be repetitive and weird,but i will be the first to admit im over compulsive about exploring every angle and option before buying anything. I will stop posting any more generic questions just to get thoughts and stimulate threads.

Just in my defence, since starting 2 months ago I have ordered product from CKTG, EE and Japan Blades. I am currently working with Boardsmith and Marko on further order.

I have seen on other forums where a poster becomes humourous to the core of that forum, I can see that im either there or quickly getting there so i know its time to quit.

Alan

Alan please do not let impatient KNIFE DORKS stop you from posting questions so you can gain knowledge of chef knives......I think that's way this forum way made.

A 300 suji is a designated slicer unless your a mountain man from Montana or something

Hahaha, I think a 300 suji is a great all-around knife depending on the individual. I even noticed BDL from the other forum has warmed up to this idea with his 300 Kono HD.

All of us were new at some point, so give the guy a break. Alan, you'll learn over time that everyone here is so different and wants different things, that a 'pick which one' thread will get you answers from across the spectrum. The knives regularly discussed here are all great for their own reasons...eventually you will know your needs and wants better after gaining experience with more knives that will help to specify your questions.

Just relax and take it slow, and realize that most knives you will be able to sell if you don't like them for a relatively small loss. Keep asking questions though, otherwise it gets boring around here.

Thanks

Alan
Alan,

I never meant to imply that you needed to stop asking questions or participating in KKF. A year ago I knew next to nothing and today what I know is still dwarfed by most other posters. So post away man, don't let my "congeniality" scare you off.

-Jack

To the OP. It takes everyone a little time to sort of find their bearings in the knife world. It might seem a little confusing at first, but keep at it. A year ago I had one knife and now I have about 15. Give it a little time, perseverance pays off

To the OP, don't stop posting. All questions are welcome, even if it has been covered many times before. The least we can do is direct you to another thread. I've asked a lot of what knife to buy threads in the past, I think it's an important part in learning about all the different choices. To answer your original question, I'd go for the Martell foremost, then the HD if you're impatient. You can always get the HD rehandled down the road if you want it to look pretty. I'll even add a new contender for you, 300mm CarboNext sujihiki—least expensive.

Sleepy

Not sure i understand, these are all yo handled suji's, i agree that im mixing steels but otherwise am i missing something ?

Does anyone here really need all then knives they have ?

I just want a big bad sharp knife !! is that wrong of me ?

To the OP, don't stop posting. All questions are welcome, even if it has been covered many times before. The least we can do is direct you to another thread. I've asked a lot of what knife to buy threads in the past, I think it's an important part in learning about all the different choices. To answer your original question, I'd go for the Martell foremost, then the HD if you're impatient. You can always get the HD rehandled down the road if you want it to look pretty. I'll even add a new contender for you, 300mm CarboNext sujihiki—least expensive.

Hi

For some reason i missed that range on JCK, what about the VG-10 version, the F&F look excellent and it looks really good, its only available as 270 but thats fine.

Alan

If you want it "right now", then the Martell is out - IIRC, Dave says a few months, at best.

I think the Hattori FH has the best F&F (fit and finish), and in my opinion the Konosuke HD has the best steel, based on my experience with other HD knives. I haven't any experience with or opinion about the Gesshin Ginga, so it may well be the best of the four.

I don't know if you were referring to my post. The mountain man thing was a poke at Vertigo. I think you're fine.

Lol, no!

I have a 310mm Harner Suji that I covet like it were the one ring to rule them all. Seriously, I would sleep with it were I not afeard of decapitating myself.
I use it.... Once a month.

My precious:
Harner30cmsujiblackash-1.jpg

Thanks for hosting the pic Rick. :thumbsup:

Btw, if you look around you can find a Harner 300 Suji for sale. It ain't cheap, but it don't suck neither!

Now that IS a stupid question. Of course we need all of our knives...

Just kidding. Keep posting man. And the next step is lubing your posts up with some vodka.

k.

Vodka !!

Single malt, Paso Robles red and Belgian style beer here, in no particular order

Something that also happens quite frequently is that a simple question actually turns into a very interesting and useful discussion. Remember the thread MadMel started about Watanabe? That was very interesting and I'm sure Sinichi got quite a bit of business out of it, from myself included. Before that post I knew nothing about his knives

I would direct you away from stainless for a big long suji. Usually slicers see little board contact; aren't used for repetitive prep tasks; and are most useful razor sharp. All these point to carbon, or semi-stainless at the very least. I second CN, or the HD; if you go 270 your spectrum widens to Masamoto HC, Kikuichi Elite carbon, etc.....

You could also have Dave thin and etch a Hiromoto AS suji for you.

I have a Dave Martell suji and really, really love it. One of my most used knives. Would buy again. I haven't used any of the other 3 though.

I think a smurf gyuto and a big slicer make a pretty good combination. Not much you can't do with those two knives.

I have been noticing this response from a lot of people recently. Someone asks for knife suggestions meeting X, Y, and Z criteria, and instead of suggestions, people are responding with, what the heck do you need that knife for? Seems like people are more interested in talking people out of knives than into them. We are a community of enablers here people, make some suggestions! :razz:

Back