Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: Archiving for posterity

Archiving for posterity

Here's a general question I have for lots of forums. Is there any plan for what happens to the content here if the forum gets taken down someday?

We experienced this with the now long-gone foodieforums. I found myself using that site as an archive of valuable information, and probably wasn't alone in this. But like most forums, it wasn't set up as a public archive; it was a private venture, owned and overseen by one guy. No one seems to know what happened to him. But more to the point, as an individual with a private venture, he had neither made promises nor plans for archiving the information for posterity. He was a dude, not a library.

This is a rears its head on a much larger scale, with corporations. Even Google doesn't promise to keep information around forever. It's not their charter. Here's an article on the topic.

I think it would be cool to have a broad conversation about this, since so many of us use forums to share information that might not be available anywhere else (or at least might not be reasonably easy to find). Forums are great resources, and should have longterm preservation plans.

Well, I am curios what kind of backup there is for KKF, but since running a knife forum is not exactly a gold mine (or so I guess), I do not think that there is some super fool proof, lasting-forever backup solution that would keep all the information shared long after humanity moved to another planed and started to cut bread with mental force

I'm wondering if there are any nonprofits who would do it for free.

Like archive.org / the wayback machine. They already do partial snapshots of forums. Maybe they or another organization could be asked to archive the whole thing? Maybe they just need permission?

I still think a wiki would be the perfect adjunct to this site... but I am aware of the problems, either you go wikia and subject people to ads or you run your own and incur costs and/or maintenance effort. And opinions on manufacturers could, if presented in wiki form, cause legal stress...