Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: End Grain Board Examples

Quote Originally Posted by Marek07 View Post
    Some seriously good looking boards! Pity that shipping from the USA is so darn expensive.
    No kidding, it's a shame!

Just finished up this Ambrosia Maple and Walnut end grain block

Beautiful! I have to say. I love the way the ambrosia maple boards look!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Available Knives

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Beautiful! I have to say. I love the way the ambrosia maple boards look!
    I agree HHH, so much character! It's fun to work with because I never really know what I'm going to get until I cut into it and turn that end grain up.

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    Hate to throw a wet blanket on the party, Zebra wood smells like a wet dog when wet, spalted wood is dangerous, has a fungus which is toxic to humans and some exotic woods look good but can contain toxins which are dangerous for humans.
    David - Formerly The BoardSMITH
    Now just retired and looking for work

Quote Originally Posted by DWSmith View Post
    Haste to throw a wet blanket on the party, Zebra wood smells like a wet dog when wet, spalted wood is dangerous, has a fungus which is toxic to humans and some exotic woods look good but can contain tixins which are dangerous for humans.
    Haha, thanks for the warm NC welcome!

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    Just my 2 cents and 50+ years worth of experience. To many friends here.
    David - Formerly The BoardSMITH
    Now just retired and looking for work

Quote Originally Posted by DWSmith View Post
    Just my 2 cents and 50+ years worth of experience. To many friends here.
    No worries, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and it is respected. Some fairly broad accusations there, so I will try to address them the best I can. Not wanting to start an internet pissing match with a neighbor (I'll be in Kernersville this weekend if you want to talk shop) but I feel like I need to address them for those that take your word as gospel and may not know the differences in wood species.

I often find more traditional (experienced) woodworkers are shocked to learn there are hardwoods outside of oak, maple, cherry, and walnut. My wife's grandfather who taught shop in NC for over 50 years is certainly in this category! Not that there is anything wrong with those more traditional domestic species, I use them often.

Just like any food, nut, leaf, weed, grass, etc certain people can have negative reactions to ANY wood, even the sacred walnut, cherry, and maple species.

Don't take my word for it, here is a chart listing those reactions for all common wood species: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-and-toxicity/

Walnut, Maple, and Cherry actually have more potential reactions listed than Zebrawood.

Speaking of Zebrawood, yes it smells like cat piss when working with it (planing, cutting, sanding), so does Hickory in my opinion. Having used an end grain Zebrawood board for some time now in my kitchen, I can say myself or wife have never noticed any odor when it's wet. I've never had a customer mention this either from any of the boards I've sold containing Zebrawood.

Sure some exotics are known to cause more reactions than others and I stay away from those.

And then there's the dreaded spalted/fungus wood. I'm guessing you're referring to the ambrosia Maple here, a very popular maple variant. Unless you are chewing on your cutting board I have never heard of a case of illness from any of the stable, kiln-dried, spalted woods I use in my boards. I'd actually probably rather chew on one than eat some of the punky cheese, charcuterie, and mushroom fungus varieties I've seen.

Happy to answer any questions, I guess this is similar to the Japanese vs Western knife debate in a way....

Good answer Bork Wood.
    While spalting is caused by natural occuring color staining fungus, conditions are very narrow where they could continue to live. Kiln drying kills them. There are a large variety of fungus found in woods so the other mention is like saying all fungus will kill you.

When looking into the wood toxicity issues of exotic woods, most are describing the results of excessive inhalation of the wood dust. Usually workers in unventilated 3rd world sweatshops. The other common wood toxicity is from the living or fresh cut sap of woods causing similar to a poison ivy reaction in some people when they come in direct contact with the fresh cut wood. We had a guy working at the burl shop who would pressure wash the wood before we milled it. He would be covered with red blotches every time he pressure washed walnut. No reaction from the dried walnut though.
    Just my 2 cents but inflammatory reactions based on questionable information taken out of context gets me going.
    BTW: doesn't everyone know, bacon and butter will kill you. Think I will go make me a BLT sandwich.

A large (3'x4') end grain kitchen island top I installed this week made from Ambrosia Maple and Walnut