Quantcast
DT clad pm steel knife - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DT clad pm steel knife

That's nice, Devin. Your san-mai is awesome.

-M

I've been using mine as my primary gyuto for the last two weeks, and haven't noticed any decrease of performance. Whatever the undisclosed PM steel Devin used is, it's doing its job. If I had to compare it to another gyuto I have, it's acting like the SRS-15 in the Akifusa gyuto.

I'll report on sharpening at whatever point in the future it needs it. Maybe Thanksgiving???

The PM steel is developing a slight patina, as seen in the following pics.

If you've got any questions, I'll try to answer them.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post

If you've got any questions, I'll try to answer them.
    What's the point of cladding?

-AJ

I will have to post some pics of my "mystery" carbon san mai when I get home. Awesome knife, athough the edge is not lasting near as long on the carbon as Rick is indicating in the PM version. But... it is still pretty wicked. Phenominal fit and finish, probably the most comfortable to use.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    What's the point of cladding?

-AJ
    As I understand it, it is used to protect the comparatively brittle core steel. If the core is carbon steel, it also provides a non-reactive surface for most of the knife.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

I believe in this case it is because the core steel is expensive and difficult to finish.

San-mai does all of the four things mentioned in the two posts above: stain resistance and toughness for most of the blade, minimizes the amount of expensive and sometimes difficult to purchase core steels, and makes finishing easier. It also can be attractive when the core steel develops a patina or the steel is etched for contrast. The contrast is there even with two stainless steels because the outer layers are usually lower carbon and higher stain resistance.

Both of the mystery steels were selected to try and find a "balance" steel with a combination of the big three: high wear resistance, edge stability, and ease of sharpening. The PM stainless obviously also adds stain resistance to that list. Most steels are usually a choice between ease of sharpening and edge stability with relatively poor wear resistance, or poor sharpenability and high wear resistance with poor edge stability. Different types of cutting make edge retention dependent on either edge stability or wear resistance, and sometimes a mix of the two. For all-around knives like gyuto's with users that cut in a variety of ways with a variety of foods, versatility in edge retention is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I've been using mine as my primary gyuto for the last two weeks, and haven't noticed any decrease of performance. Whatever the undisclosed PM steel Devin used is, it's doing its job. If I had to compare it to another gyuto I have, it's acting like the SRS-15 in the Akifusa gyuto.
    the SRS-15 in that Akifusa is the best stainless steel i've ever had in a kitchen knife, so that is high praise.

Hi Larrin,

What I'm asking is why this specific knife was clad. Can't be for stain resistance since the PM core already has that. Is the core that brittle that it needs to be encased? Or is it mainly an aesthetics issue?

-AJ

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Devin said in a different thread "The PM stainless is very expensive. It also has a cool frosty look against the shiny clad."