DT clad pm steel knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
So what is the deal on this knife, Rick? Inquiring minds want to know if we need to have some sort of DT-ITK run on these, lol.

So what is the deal on this knife, Rick? Inquiring minds want to know if we need to have some sort of DT-ITK run on these, lol.

Working on a review, but need more time to evaluate it.

As far as a DT ITK "run" - not going there again, if you catch my meaning.

Here's one for Tinh.

PM stainless with cocobolo handle.

Hoss

017.jpg

Yes, fantastic knife. Please sent that blank to me soon Devin.

I've been using mine as my primary gyuto for the last two weeks, and haven't noticed any decrease of performance. Whatever the undisclosed PM steel Devin used is, it's doing its job. If I had to compare it to another gyuto I have, it's acting like the SRS-15 in the Akifusa gyuto.

I'll report on sharpening at whatever point in the future it needs it. Maybe Thanksgiving???

The PM steel is developing a slight patina, as seen in the following pics.

651d03d0.jpg

f5daddf0.jpg

035575ed.jpg

df2df4dc.jpg

72fa8a9d.jpg

If you've got any questions, I'll try to answer them.

I will have to post some pics of my "mystery" carbon san mai when I get home. Awesome knife, athough the edge is not lasting near as long on the carbon as Rick is indicating in the PM version. But... it is still pretty wicked. Phenominal fit and finish, probably the most comfortable to use.

I believe in this case it is because the core steel is expensive and difficult to finish.

San-mai does all of the four things mentioned in the two posts above: stain resistance and toughness for most of the blade, minimizes the amount of expensive and sometimes difficult to purchase core steels, and makes finishing easier. It also can be attractive when the core steel develops a patina or the steel is etched for contrast. The contrast is there even with two stainless steels because the outer layers are usually lower carbon and higher stain resistance.

Both of the mystery steels were selected to try and find a "balance" steel with a combination of the big three: high wear resistance, edge stability, and ease of sharpening. The PM stainless obviously also adds stain resistance to that list. Most steels are usually a choice between ease of sharpening and edge stability with relatively poor wear resistance, or poor sharpenability and high wear resistance with poor edge stability. Different types of cutting make edge retention dependent on either edge stability or wear resistance, and sometimes a mix of the two. For all-around knives like gyuto's with users that cut in a variety of ways with a variety of foods, versatility in edge retention is a plus.

I've been using mine as my primary gyuto for the last two weeks, and haven't noticed any decrease of performance. Whatever the undisclosed PM steel Devin used is, it's doing its job. If I had to compare it to another gyuto I have, it's acting like the SRS-15 in the Akifusa gyuto.

the SRS-15 in that Akifusa is the best stainless steel i've ever had in a kitchen knife, so that is high praise.

Hi Larrin,

What I'm asking is why this specific knife was clad. Can't be for stain resistance since the PM core already has that. Is the core that brittle that it needs to be encased? Or is it mainly an aesthetics issue?

-AJ

Devin said in a different thread "The PM stainless is very expensive. It also has a cool frosty look against the shiny clad."

It's not because it's too brittle to be used alone. High carbon stainless isnt known for being particularly corrosion resistant so I wouldn't say you couldn't use clad with stainless for that reason. I was only listing benefits for using San-Mai, not because it has to be used for these steels.

What sort of edge do you have on it, Rick (and kalaeb)?

kalaeb: Are you using yours in a professional setting? I thought the edge retention on Pesky's mystery steel knife was quite good.

kalaeb: Are you using yours in a professional setting? I thought the edge retention on Pesky's mystery steel knife was quite good.

The edge that Devin had on it was more than adequate, so I've not taken it to the stones, yet. All I've needed to do so far is strop at what I estimate to be 15 degrees.

I apologize if it sounded as if the carbon did not perform well, quite to the contrary; the carbon san mai that I received performs spectacularly.

I am getting two weeks of heavy use in a professional setting, cutting acidic food with only slight touch ups.

It is stroped on co every other day, sometimes every day depending on the workout. After 4 days I spent a few minutes on a Gesshin 5k and I dropped back down to a 1200 after about 10 days of use.

The knife is the most comfortable and easily the best cutting knife I have ever used!

I am still using the bevel that Devin cut on the blade and will probably leave it at that, as Rick stated about 15 degrees, if not less. I feel this can easily take more, but if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.

Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure:

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

Back