'Cheaper' alternative to Gesshin synths?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm more of a natural stone guy, but am always trying keep things diverse. I pulled the trigger on the 4k, 8k, and synth-natural Gesshins and was absolutely blown away. Sooooo fast, cuts through any steel like butter, responsive, etc, etc. My kinda stone. I much prefer it to the JNS lineup of grits 1k-6k (including the blue aoto - still like the red aoto). They're good stones, don't get me wrong, but for my tastes, Jon's stones are just incredible. I have yet to swing below 1K on the Gesshins, and I always liked the JNS stones below 1k more than the higher grits, so it's going to be hard to beat the 300 and 800.

Anyways, as much as I like the Gesshins, and still might stay with them in the end, they're pretty expensive compared to the JNS stones (and the 4K, jeez), are there any 'cheaper' alternatives from those who have the Gesshins as well stones of similar characteristics - the speed, power, etc? If not cheaper, close in price?

Thanks.

Well, with both Gesshin and JND you get what you pay for. Some prefer Gesshin (the 2k, 4k, synthetic Natural are fantastic IMO) other prefer JNS (300, 800, 1k are really nice). I have recently got 1k from Watanabe - man that stone is fast. I got it with the Christmas discount - basically for a price of a King. If you want super fast and aggressive 1k, go for it. Above that just get a few nice natural stones :)

I figured instead of getting a few different middle grits ( I already had the shapton pro 1k, Beston 500, and an Akamura) I went all in and got the 800 verified diamond. Costly, but will last forever hopefully.

You can always order direct from japan. You'll end up paying less, get minimal or no customer service and it could take much longer for delivery(generally speaking). I'm a thrifty guy and even I think gesh stones are worth it for the price.

You can always order direct from japan. You'll end up paying less, get minimal or no customer service and it could take much longer for delivery(generally speaking). I'm a thrifty guy and even I think gesh stones are worth it for the price.

Alright. It was worth a try. Guess I'm using Jon's forever and ever. I just wish he had an installment plan...

For what it's worth, we sometimes have stones with cosmetic flaws we sell in store for less ... if you guys want to know what I have, just email, call, or message me

Latest posts

Back