Kuro-Uchi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DwarvenChef

Reaction score
Post-a-holic night :p and my annual KU thread lol

Kuro-Uchi how I love thee, let me count the ways....

KU knives etched on to me many years ago and have not let go. I blame the early Takeda knives I saw in my early days for looking for knives. I vowed to get as many KU knives as I could from just as many makers for one really cool set... But finding these knives prooved harder than my attraction to the Hiromoto AS knives lol... After I disassembled the Hiromoto AS set I decided to keep the KU thing going... only to become jobless and ya we all know where that leads :(

With the chance of getting another job soon I have not been able to sleep, to amped... so here I sit posting goofy posts :p

KU knives seem to go in waves at local markets as well as here on online shops. But I don't see many write ups, or other addict like myself, J is out there somewhere :p I'd love to see what new and old hands are doing and with what :)

My current collection...

Carter Nakiri (my crown piece)
Takeda Ajikiri (close second)
Konusuki Usuba (best finish)
Watanabe Kaibou
Watanabe Ajikiri (single bevel)
UnKnown Yanagi (gifted)
Tojiro Santuko

Looking at the list makes it seem so short after longing for these knives for so long. But I love each one for their own uses. These knives are not on the "for anyone" wall, they are on MY wall :p the family wants nothing to do with them lol Seems I get twitchy when they hoover near them lol.

I'd love to hear from fellow KU knuts :)

6 takeda's, 2 moritaka, 2 watanabe,1 tosa hakata,1 zakuri. I have some shiney knives too, but much prefer the KU ones

6 Takedas, 3 Watanabe (probably a 4th coming soon), 1 Tanaka. I personally love the KU look, and it's a great bonus that it makes the knives look less expensive to female eyes ;)

Tojiro Shirogami Santoku, Tojiro Shirogami 210mm Gyuto, Tadatsuna Shirogami Santoku. I love these knives. They take great edges, and look cool. the Kuro Uchi finish has got a similar attraction for me as Parkerizing or old-style hot blueing on the 1911's, as opposed to all the fancy stainless, hard-chrome, etc. I really want a Takeda and a Moritaka. I bought some stuff recently to put a mirror polish on the silver part of the Tojiro Santoku -- just think it will look good. If I'm sucessful, I'll post a pic or two.

Cheers,

Jack

I guess the KU bug is alive and well here :) even if we are the minority :p I was thinking earlier that my love of KU knives may have some basis as to why I love cooking on cast iron. While i have All-Clads, Calfolon hard anodized, and a few others I can't remember, it's the cast iron pieces that get used everyday. Even something as mundane as packaged raman gets the #6 dutch oven, sear the mushrooms, toss in the garlic, ginger, and onions, broth and noodles... Mmmm now I'm hungry...

I myself have only one KU knife.
It is a Iyo style knife (it is similar to a Santoku) made by Master Shirakata.

The story about this master blacksmith is here:
1000 year nail

I myself have only one KU knife.
It is a Iyo style knife (it is similar to a Santoku) made by Master Shirakata.

The story about this master blacksmith is here:
1000 year nail

Thanks for the story, link :thumbsup:

Watanabe 180mm Kurouchi gyuto Professional Grade - one of my earliest purchase - works very well in my small kitchen :knife:
Takeda petite

I've seen some Konosuke knives with KU finish but patterns etched into them. Looks pretty cool on the display shelves, but I'm perfectly happy with just plain KU for knives that I'm gonna have and use myself :)

I've only got one, a 240 Watanabe gyuto. Very interesting knife, and the KU pattern is very consistent and looks awesome

Cool story indeed :)

I really like Konusuki's KU for it's texture. I ordered my Konusuki usuba with no knowledge of their KU works, only going on the comment that they liked to make KU knives. At the time (not sure if their site has them now) no pictures where available of their KU knives, none theat I could find. So when the group buy [video=youtube;OHfaDWlSgFE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfaDWlSgFE[/video] went off I sucked it up and sent in my order. Unfortunatly my knife was not shown in this video but it was the only KU knife in the entire order lol.

DSCN2119-Copy.jpg

Forgot to add the pic :p

When I am able I will have them do a 180 deba this way, deba are just a weee bit out of my affordability at this time lol

10-3-11moritaka.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

I like KU's for a while, then I start playing with 'em. This is my 240 Moritaka. I gave away to a good friend a Tosagata santoku, and still have a Tojiro el-cheap-o nakiri. The latter is the best bang for the buck out there, IMHO. Oh yeah, and a CCK cleaver I outfitted with an ironwood and buffalo horn handle.

Back