Quantcast
52100 - questions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 52100 - questions

52100 - questions

Hi all.

I have tried a lot of steels but not 52100. As I have read it sounds fantastic, but how is it reactiveness?

I have white#1 that starts to rust just after 5 minutes (Kanetsune 210 Deba), but I have a cladded Carter that is not that insane to rust. White, but unsure of #1 or #2, I also have some blue that is insane to rust.

The reason that I ask is that I just ordered a new petty Hon warikomi-style blade combining a 52100 carbon steel core with 416 stainless steel sides.

But several members of the household might use this when Im not around, and Im afraid of what they might do to it....
    All my 240 Guytos and larger are left alone, but this is a smaller petty and Im afraid that it can be damaged if left alone...

What do you guys think of 52100?

I don't find 52100 particularly reactive. I've never had a rust spot myself. I've also seen one that Pesky uses that has obviously been abused but is still in good shape. Marko's kitchen knife is also "abused" somewhat, from his description and it hasn't had rust problems either. It ain't stainless though.

Since the comparison of "steel reactiveness" on these forums never make any metallurgical sense I will say that you shouldn't worry about it. The differences seen between these relatively simple carbon steels are more likely attributable to surface finish and use.

So this knife doesn't need a babysitter?
    I can trust that its not destroyed even after 8 hours of being wet?

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    So this knife doesn't need a babysitter?

Its still carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Its still carbon.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    absolutely correct, as long as the result you are looking for is a pile of wet rust.

Well, I have talked with Marko about the 52100 "Masamoto" he makes. Test's has proved it to be a great knife i.e. anti-rust, edge retention etc. I'm positive that the 52100 steel will require a little care but not a whole lot. At least that is the impression I got thru our conversations. When I receive my knife I will test it for a week = approx. 60 hours of use. After that I will post a review.

I have good feeling about 52100. Ive spoken privatly with some makers. The one thing Im afraid of is that its going to be destroyed accidentely by household members who cuts something and dont wipe off.

Gonna talk to the maker, even thoug its the most beautiful knife in the world, it can be turned to dust by my household members
    And then its not worth it at all...

No wonder things are going to hell. All the good knives are apparently going to Northern Europe . .

+ Reply to Thread