Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions?

Suggestions?

So we've been up & running now for about 6 months, about 850 members strong - not bad - but we can always do better.

Does anyone have any suggestions for improvements or changes that you'd like to see made? I can't promise anything but I'll do what I can when I can to make this an even better forum than it is. So any ideas you have - shoot!

I like it so far. Compared to other forums, I am using the 'What's new' button most often to keep up and that works reasonably well.

The one thing I wish were better is the prgqnization of knife or knife-related pictures. The media section is a bit all over the place, and you cannot see if anybody has an album unless you click yourself through his profile. I liked the gallery concept of the other place, where everybody could start an easily accessible thread for his stuff and add to it. As it is, picures are all over the place and there is no way to find something specific.

Stefan

+1
    How 'bout some nekked pictures of Rachel Ray?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

There's only one thing that nags at me on occasion....

I'd like to see the BST forum move the most recent posts to the top, that way available knives can be bumped up to stay visable.
    It's basically impossible to see that a 3 month old posting is still available. I see this issue becoming worse as the forum grows. It could eventually be that a 3 week old posting is on page 4 behind 32 knives that are already sold, and there is no way to move it up to where people can see it.

I'm not a gallery guy so I hadn't notice Stefan's issue until he suggested it, and he does have a point. Can't say it has bothered me specifically though.

Otherwise I think things are up and running pretty nicely now.

Keep it up, keep it real, thanks for providing the space Dave!
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Dave:

This is a great forum. I have enjoyed it tremendously and learned a lot. I appreciate all the time and effort you put into it.

My only suggestion would be to modify the new posts list to show all posts chronologically. Posts disappear from the new post section sometimes, even though they are in fact newer than the ones listed. They don't just move down the list, they are removed from the list. For instance, this thread was at the top of the list a few minutes ago, and is not in the list at all now. It would help in tracking interesting threads if they remained in chronological order.

That's a nit, and in no way takes away from the excellence of the forum, thanks mainly to the extraordinarily knowledgeable people who participate.

Thanks again for a great resource!

Keith
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Keith,

The New Posts function works just fine. When you read a post, it's not new to you any more, so the thread isn't displayed to you.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Keith,

The New Posts function works just fine. When you read a post, it's not new to you any more, so the thread isn't displayed to you.
    Understand. But that makes it difficult to find again. If it is interesting, I would like to go back to it periodically, but it has disappeared. The program presumes that once you have read a post, you are no longer interested in it, which is usually not the case for me. I am a slow learner and need to repeat the lesson.

I would prefer all the posts stay in order.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    There's only one thing that nags at me on occasion....

I'd like to see the BST forum move the most recent posts to the top, that way available knives can be bumped up to stay visable.
    It's basically impossible to see that a 3 month old posting is still available. I see this issue becoming worse as the forum grows. It could eventually be that a 3 week old posting is on page 4 behind 32 knives that are already sold, and there is no way to move it up to where people can see it.

I'm not a gallery guy so I hadn't notice Stefan's issue until he suggested it, and he does have a point. Can't say it has bothered me specifically though.

Otherwise I think things are up and running pretty nicely now.

Keep it up, keep it real, thanks for providing the space Dave!
    I wanted to reply to this as fodder for the conversation and for possible change. The organization of this forum was deliberate. We specifically wanted to place some barriers to exploitative posting and to prevent first posts to be in the BST with a for sales post. This protects buyers on a small scale but also helps to set a tone for our community.

From a philosophical point of view- we are a small passionate knife centric community that has, as a privilege - a BST forum for our active members. The other issue that was addressed by this set up was to limit exploitative posting and bumping where everyday someone would flog their post at the expense of everyone else s post in that forum. No easy answers I am afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    Dave:

This is a great forum. I have enjoyed it tremendously and learned a lot. I appreciate all the time and effort you put into it.

My only suggestion would be to modify the new posts list to show all posts chronologically. Posts disappear from the new post section sometimes, even though they are in fact newer than the ones listed. They don't just move down the list, they are removed from the list. For instance, this thread was at the top of the list a few minutes ago, and is not in the list at all now. It would help in tracking interesting threads if they remained in chronological order.

That's a nit, and in no way takes away from the excellence of the forum, thanks mainly to the extraordinarily knowledgeable people who participate.

Thanks again for a great resource!

Keith

Hi Keith,
    I understand what you're asking about but that's not an option I'm afraid. The "what's new" feature is for showing only what new posts have been added, once you click on them they're no longer considered "new" and drop off the list.

A better way for your type of browsing may be to ignore this feature and use the forum board "old school" where you browse the board and use the icons to see if any new content has been added to the forums. Until recently this was the standard way forums were browsed so it's not ineffective, it's just not as effective for time management as the "what's new" feature offers.

To help you can find a legend at the bottom of the main forum page (click on "Forum") that indicates what's been read already as well as new posts, etc

Sorry I don't have a better solution for you here.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I like it so far. Compared to other forums, I am using the 'What's new' button most often to keep up and that works reasonably well.

The one thing I wish were better is the prgqnization of knife or knife-related pictures. The media section is a bit all over the place, and you cannot see if anybody has an album unless you click yourself through his profile. I liked the gallery concept of the other place, where everybody could start an easily accessible thread for his stuff and add to it. As it is, picures are all over the place and there is no way to find something specific.

Stefan

This has occurred to me to Stefan. I'm looking into what we can do here.

Thanks!