what is your go-to hotsauce?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
me, i have fist fulls of Tapatio single serve packets. i love the stuff.

my other two players are Tabasco (for the vinegar) and Shark-brand sriracha. i was told it is the original or close to it. strangely enough, TraderJoe's version is very close as well.

you.?

Cholula on everything. I also steal the roasted pepper taqueria sauce from El Pueblo in Cardiff, my go-to 24 hour taco shop.

I actually really like the taste of Frank's RedHot, but it's not spicy enough, so I blend it with hotter chili paste for an added kick.

El yucateco green by far...but the red and brown both have their place.

Srirachi and Tabasco will both do in a pinch.

Isn't Sriracha Panich usually considered "closest to original"? Though I find it far more useful as a go-to "chili garlic sauce" for mixing stir fry sauces than as a condiment...

Chipolte Tobasco, I have considered buying the gallon jar on amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matouks or Yucateco Caribbean (I can walk to the Mexican market to buy this instead of having to drive to the Asian market of all places to buy matouks) and Louisiana. I like most hot sauces though. I like faraon's green habanero more than yucatecos. I like adding the yucateco black burnt chile one to sauces and such as sort of a cheater flavor ingredient.

Crystal or sriracha for eating, tobasco for cooking. Melindas's naga jolokia when I feel like over doing it hehe.

I like sambal olek over sriracha personally. I added a bunch of ghost chili powder to a sriracha bottle and its pretty damn hot and delicious.

Yep I used to just eat a few tbsp of sambal oelek on basmati with butter when times were tough

Hmmm...my all time go to is classic Tobasco for plain old fire but I've really like using dry pepper for some time now. My favorite currently on scrambled eggs is Hungarian Paprika.

Gringo Bandito if you can find it. Both red and green are excellent everyday sauces.

Grow my own chili's as get ripe store in freezer. Hawaiian chili peppers, garlic, fingertip ginger, rice vinegar, Hi. rock salt. Boil water. Store in Mason jars & ceramic flip top beer bottles. Hawaiian chili pepper water more chili's more heat.

As a condiment, ass-kicking roasted garlic.
One of my favourite overall: Cambridge chili farms "10". Heaps of naga, very fruity, good amount of heat.

Default? Tabasco Habanero.

Blair's MegaDeath if i'm wanting some bite.

I like lots of different sauces, in fact, make many myself from the garden.

For those that haven't ventured outside vinegar based hot sauces (Tabasco, Reds, Franks...), I wanted to post a review of my favorite hot sauce Marie Sharps. Its readily available and has a very different picante profile than vinegar sauces. Sampling them side by side really demonstrates how complex MS scotch bonnet really is.

http://goodhurts.blogspot.com/2010/03/marie-sharps-habanero-hot-sauces-finger.html

Thanks for the Marie Sharps site, she has quite a few choices. Going to check I think the big Safeway store here might have it. That's where I buy my Mexican salsa's.

Where do you buy yours?

I usually make a half gallon of chili water at a time. Store it in the green Grolsh beer bottles. I wash off the labels the Grolsh logo is on the dark green glass itself.

I substituted pineapple juice instead of vinegar on one batch. It was not bad sweeter less bite. For chili water I prefer the vinegar version.

Keith, I used to bring it home from Belize, that where I first discovered it. Now I buy it on Amazon. I like their green sauce for eggs too. I just got some of their BEWARE version. It's has a "keep away from children" caution label on it. LOL

Back