Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: what is your go-to hotsauce?

This thread inspired me to re-up on Marie Sharps. Took a trip to Kalustyan's in Manhattan for a couple of bottles (and a bunch of the things that no one else ever has). MS has unfortunately gone down the road of offering a baffling number of versions, so it's hard to know which one is her regular hot sauce. It's pretty easy still to find my favorite version ... the green prickly pear habanero flavor. It's a bit unusual and I find it addictive.

I also use a lot of the standard rooster sriracha. Completely different flavor profile that goes well with so many things. And I love that it's cheap, comes in a huge bottle, and can be bought everywhere.

Marie Sharp all the way! Discovered them a few years ago in a Spanish shop here in town which also sells amazing fresh home made corn tortillas.

For those in Germany: http://www.marie-sharp.de

I too love the "Green Habanero" flavour with prickly pear (nopal cactus).

What flavours are others here recommending?

Quote Originally Posted by bennyprofane View Post
    Marie Sharp all the way! Discovered them a few years ago in a Spanish shop here in town which also sells amazing fresh home made corn tortillas.

For those in Germany: http://www.marie-sharp.de

I too love the "Green Habanero" flavour with prickly pear (nopal cactus).

What flavours are others here recommending?

Yes, let's hear from all you Marie Sharps folks...I went to the website and they have multiple styles...which do you prefer?

I'm down with as much heat as offered but often the hottest isn't the best, so before I try I'd like to hear more.

FWIW, my homemade habanero sauce is carrot based.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Yes, let's hear from all you Marie Sharps folks...I went to the website and they have multiple styles...which do you prefer?

I'm down with as much heat as offered but often the hottest isn't the best, so before I try I'd like to hear more.

One of the restaurants affiliated with dardeau makes a sweet potato habanero sauce and it's incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post

Recipe, please.

Totally agree, I like it pretty spicy so the "Green Habanero" from Marie Sharp could be a little more spicy, so I spice it up with some extra chopped
    green chillies but the flavour of that sauce is just so amazing that it's my go to.

When I think of salsa Verdi I think breakfast eggs.

The original MS hot sauce comes with a white label.

https://www.amazon.com/Marie-Sharps-...3111KDBPZ&th=1

I think its heat level is XX

I have XXX, and XXXX.

Added a few drops of XXXX to my spicy tuna for sushi. Was delicious and not too spicy.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

You guys are serious. Got the Marie Sharps Green prickly pear habanero & the regular hot Habanero Pepper Sauce. Tried both. I use it with caution not too many shakes, good stuff

I like pureed jarred Calabrian peppers with vinegar and garlic for a quick house made hot sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Got the Marie Sharps Green prickly pear habanero & the regular hot Habanero Pepper Sauce. Tried both. I use it with caution not too many shakes, good stuff
    I've been finding their newer labelling a bit confusing. When I went to the store that carries this stuff (long trip) I couldn't remember which version of the red sauce I'd been using. So I bought the one labelled "Fiery Hot." Turns out what's in my fridge is "Mild." Haven't opened the new bottle yet ... am hoping it's not stupid hot.

anyone make their own? I've been researching pepper mashes and whiskey pepper mashes and fermented hotsauces... think I'm gonna give it a go.

I just made a really nice and non traditional trini pepper sauce... got ~1kg nice habaneros at the local asian grocer, 4 bucks!! seeded and minced those up, grated ~2 cups of carrot, 1 small onion and mince three cloves of garlic, cook everything but the peppers until it's mush (~1 hour, or just simmer 20 minutes then blitz, I didnt want to do more dishes) with a cup of water and a shot of brown rice vinegar. add peppers and simmer another 10 minutes. add 1 tsp shoyu 1tsp anchovy fish sauce, eyeball worcestershire sauce, dash of msg and dash of salt and 1/4 cup brown rice vinegar. Smells like heaven.

Blue skies over bad lands