I see a fair amount of sales of knives. Granted many of these are just to make room or get rid of unused knives, but some are to free up some cash too.
When the money is tight what do with your knives:
* Upgrade your existing knives (with new handles for instance)?
* Sell knives so you can continue trying/buying new stuff?
* Invest in stones and other accessories?
* Keep on buying because it doesn't matter?
* Buy used?
* Sell and resume when things get better?
The economy doesn't really affect me, but funds are a bit tight right now and I am choosing to upgrade.