Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knives in a Crappy Economy?

It's a tough one, but I would say sell what you don't use, and keep what you love. I have 4 knives that I love. It's all I need.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I have been selling a few to pick up some more. My hoarding days are over. By the end of this year I hope to trim the fat and only keep the ones I really use.

Thinned the herd to only the essentials for use, like a 300 suji, 300 yanagi, 270 gyuto, 210 suji/petty, 150 petty, 150 honesuke and a Chinese cleaver.

Things that are in the "collection" are the truely unique, like Doi, Shigefusas or Watanabe Kintaru Ame. I think it will stop here unless, I may pick up something if it is very unique or has value. Been eyeing some of Nathan's outcast, but some of you are too fast.

There was a time when the collection was much more.

I once saw an interview with one of our topchefs here (Michelin qualified) and he only had 6 tools in his bag - half of them not being knifes. He recommended no more than what he has - and to focus on quality rather than quantity. To me that's good advice ... and I will stick to that.

Knifes can be a passion - and passion never stops ... respect for that. I use mine for work and hopefully it will stay that way ... but you never know do ya Getting to hooked on knifes could make most peoples economy crappy - at least mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    It's a tough one, but I would say sell what you don't use, and keep what you love. I have 4 knives that I love. It's all I need.
    Same. I'd rather have 4 awesome knives than 20 good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Same. I'd rather have 4 awesome knives than 20 good ones.
    Agree completely. One of my co-workers seems to have dozens of knives, yet I bet he has spent about the same money as me and I have 5 or 6 really good ones. The only knives I use in work are a 240 gyuto a 210 petty and a parer

on a serious note, I suppose a craftsman takes his tools seriously; esp those that he is particularly fond of or has special attachment to as it "sings" in his hand. If it gives much joy to use it ( minimum 8 hours a day), it is indeed a simple pleasure in life. It would be a sad day to have to sell off such items in slow economic times.

rgds
    d