Knives in a Crappy Economy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see a fair amount of sales of knives. Granted many of these are just to make room or get rid of unused knives, but some are to free up some cash too.

When the money is tight what do with your knives:

* Upgrade your existing knives (with new handles for instance)?
* Sell knives so you can continue trying/buying new stuff?
* Invest in stones and other accessories?
* Keep on buying because it doesn't matter?
* Buy used?
* Sell and resume when things get better?

The economy doesn't really affect me, but funds are a bit tight right now and I am choosing to upgrade.

k.

I went in a totally different direction: I bought a bunch of edc's and a bottle of single malt scotch.

I just started making my own!

Well I have not bought anything new in quite some time, or used... Not till I get a job and can keep the wolves at bay...

There are a lot of things I would consider selling first. Not much money in knives.
Better to think ahead, and not buy stuff you won't need if you go broke . . can't cut a chicken if you can't buy a chicken.

I've slowed down despite having a record sales year. I think I'm at capacity. Not much I'm wanting for.

Buy when going poorly, sell when going good :)

thats a good idea!.. it de -stresses you and makes you happy (?) and when the going is good, there are always newer models with different steels, design ; sell teh old one ( better still; if the price of steel has gone up) unless it is a collectors item... AT the same time you are still contributing to the economy....

BUt always keep the basic tools of your trade....
rgds

It's a tough one, but I would say sell what you don't use, and keep what you love. I have 4 knives that I love. It's all I need. :)

I have been selling a few to pick up some more. My hoarding days are over. By the end of this year I hope to trim the fat and only keep the ones I really use.

Thinned the herd to only the essentials for use, like a 300 suji, 300 yanagi, 270 gyuto, 210 suji/petty, 150 petty, 150 honesuke and a Chinese cleaver.

Things that are in the "collection" are the truely unique, like Doi, Shigefusas or Watanabe Kintaru Ame. I think it will stop here unless, I may pick up something if it is very unique or has value. Been eyeing some of Nathan's outcast, but some of you are too fast.

There was a time when the collection was much more.

I once saw an interview with one of our topchefs here (Michelin qualified) and he only had 6 tools in his bag - half of them not being knifes. He recommended no more than what he has - and to focus on quality rather than quantity. To me that's good advice ... and I will stick to that.

Knifes can be a passion - and passion never stops ... respect for that. I use mine for work and hopefully it will stay that way ... but you never know do ya :D Getting to hooked on knifes could make most peoples economy crappy - at least mine.

Same. I'd rather have 4 awesome knives than 20 good ones.

Agree completely. One of my co-workers seems to have dozens of knives, yet I bet he has spent about the same money as me and I have 5 or 6 really good ones. The only knives I use in work are a 240 gyuto a 210 petty and a parer

on a serious note, I suppose a craftsman takes his tools seriously; esp those that he is particularly fond of or has special attachment to as it "sings" in his hand. If it gives much joy to use it ( minimum 8 hours a day), it is indeed a simple pleasure in life. It would be a sad day to have to sell off such items in slow economic times.

rgds
d

Latest posts

Back