Quantcast
Staub or Le Creuset? Post some of your favorite recipes!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Staub or Le Creuset? Post some of your favorite recipes!

Staub or Le Creuset? Post some of your favorite recipes!

I'm in the market for a dutch oven and I am hearing some good things between staub and le creuset. Which ones do you guys like. Also, I have a gas stove but my parents have a glass/ceramic stove, can they also be used on a glass/ceramic stove?

What do you use? What size do you like?

What are some of your favorite recipes to cook?

I have many, but no Staub. Just don't need another I even have a Griswold that no Griswold collector has ever seen. I even posted pictures on a Griswold forum and all the old timers were stumped

My current favorite is Chicken and Dumplings

I'd say get a Staub 5 quart round. That's the most useful size and staub makes an awesome product. Me favorite recipe? I cook everything from chili con carne to blanquette de veau. I would suggest you get All About Braising by Molly Stevens, it's a great book with great recipes and techniques.

I have both and they work about the same. I can't give a thumbs up to one over the other. The Staub is cheaper and I inherited the Le Creuset? Again just my opinion.
    --
    Joe

I have a few of each. I prefer the Staub pots as they're heavier.

Here's one recipe for a simple but hearty stew, follow by photos.

BEEF STEW WITH MUSHROOMS & MARSALA

2½ pounds lean stewing beef (round or chuck), cut in 1-inch cubes
    ½ cup all-purpose flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon finely ground fresh black pepper
    3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    1 large onion, coarsely chopped
    4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
    3 celery stalks, sliced into ½-inch pieces
    ½ pound small mushrooms, cut into halves or quarters
    ½ teaspoon dried thyme
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    ¼ cup Marsala Wine or Dry Sherry
    1 14½-ounce can beef broth
    1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
    water
    1 pound small red potatoes (or more if desired), cut into quarters
    1 cup frozen peas, rinsed
    2 tablespoons minced parsley

1. Rinse meat and pat dry.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large Dutch Oven over medium-high heat.

3. Add flour, salt, and pepper to a plastic bag and shake to mix well; add half the meat to the bag and shake to coat well.

4. Shake off excess flour and add meat to pan; cook about 3 to 5 minutes until the meat
    releases easily from the pan and is well browned on that side; turn the meat over and
    continue cooking until well browned on all sides; reduce heat if pan begins to smoke;
    remove meat from pan and set aside in a large bowl.

5. Add another 1 tablespoon of oil to pan; repeat steps 3 and 4 with the remaining half of
    the meat; add the cooked meat to bowl.

6. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan, then add the onions, carrots, and celery; cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until veggies are soft and onion starts to brown, about 5 to 10 minutes.

7. Add the mushrooms and the thyme to the pan, stir to combine, and cook about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms release their liquid.

8. Add the minced garlic and the brown sugar to the pan, stir and cook about 1 minute or
    until you begin to smell the garlic.

9. Add 2 tablespoons of the flour remaining in the bag to the pan, and stir well to combine; cook about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.

10. Add Marsala or Sherry to pan and stir, scrapping the bottom of the pan to release any
    brown bits.

11. Add beef broth and vinegar to pan; add enough water to cover meat; bring to boil; if
    gravy is too thick, add additional water.

12. Reduce heat to low, cover pan, and simmer stew for about 2 hours, stirring
    occasionally; remove lid if stew is too thin.

13. About 45 minutes before the stew is done cooking; add potatoes, stir to combine, and continue cooking until potatoes are done.

14. Add peas and continue cooking until heated, about 3 to 5 minutes more.

15. Taste stew for seasoning and add salt and/or pepper if needed.

16. Add parsley to stew, stir to combine, and serve.

Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Oh man, I should not have opened that one. Gotta leave the office and find food now, and I am sure whatever I find will not be as good as this stew.

I only have one 5qt round Staub that I use for braising. Their 9qt oval dutch oven has been on my list for a while now, but I haven't gotten myself to spending that much on another pot again. It's not that there is a scarcity of cooking vessels in my one-person household...

Stefan

Staub and Lodge all the way for me! The only advantage I see in LC is the ability to see how dark your fond is and how well its browning (and perhaps their terrine, which seems to be the standard). Staub weighs more, has a nice flat bottom, heavy lipped lids, cool little basting dimples that probably don't do anything but are fun to wield like a shield at your friends, sturdy metal knobs, cooler colors (I'm a fan of the grenadine and the plain black) and tends to build up a little seasoning just like traditional cast iron pans. I own two 9 qt Creuset, one 8 quart Staub, 7 quart Lodge pro logic, 6 quart Staub coq au vin, 5 qt Staub and Creuset, and 3.5qt Staub Honeycomb Braiser (my favorite).

I think the Mario Batali line represents excellent value and they have a dutch oven, that being said I'm currently lusting for a Le Creuset brazier.

I use my Le Creuset dutch oven for many things: Soups, Bolognese sauce, chili, chicken curry, coq au vin, oatmeal and even fried chicken and fish & chips.

I use my Le Cruset jumbo all the time- every Sunday for sauce at the least.

Here is a braised chuck roast.

I have been using my stub 5.5qt for baking bread a lot recently. I think Le Creucet still have a polymer knob on the lid that has to be removed if you are baking at high heat.

+ Reply to Thread