Should I go custom?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Variak

Reaction score
Hi there, right now I am using a Dexter 9 1/4'' x 4 3/4'' chinese chef knife and I love it. Even though the handle is made out of wood and would be better with plastic or metal. But the size is amazing, for asian meals, its so great for transfering food from chopping block to wok. But I would like to get an even larger knive. Let's say, 11 inch x 6 inch (blade). Is there any company on earth that does this kind of knife or should I go custom? An if I have to go custom, who fabricates these kind of knives? Thx

JC

Ashi Hamono takes custom orders for Chinese chef knives (chuka bocho) and you can specify any dimensions you want, including thickness and taper. You also have a choice between high quality Swedish stainless steel or Japanese Hitachi White #2 carbon steel.

I ordered mine in carbon earlier this year, the dimensions are 220x110x2.0mm and the handle scales are rosewood.

IIRC, cost was around US$250.00 and the order was finished and mailed to me inside a week.

NewMisono006.jpg

NewMisono001-1.jpg

NewMisono021.jpg

NewMisono020.jpg

NewMisono003-1.jpg

Thank you! The edge it takes is un-bee-lee-va-bal. :D

Great cleaver, Seb! If I were in the market for one, I'd be calling up Ashi Hamono too.

Great cleaver, Seb! If I were in the market for one, I'd be calling up Ashi Hamono too.

Thanx! You should see Mainaman's - he got one with a killer distal taper - wish I had thought of asking for that!

Wow thx Seb, I will definitely check this guy out. Great finish on the knife, I love it.

I am fairly confident there are no stock cleavers in the size that you want. Custom cleavers are the only way to go.

AND DANG Seb, you have been holding out, that is a killer cleaver, very nice. What is the weight? 420 g?

lovely, i would ask for a handle with bolster IF it is a keep sake . It May eventually split, food juice(s), water can get in.. with consequences of course... Just my thoughts. I am inclined to believe that unprotected ends of the handle will be the weakest link and will eventually fail? maybe years later?

thus always have a cap; never leave home without it.....

rgds
d

Zitangy, good point but on the Ashi Hamono website the guy clearly says:
"Ginga" Series

Materials: [Blade] Swedish stainless steel or High-Carbon steel
[Handle] Composite wood or Magnolia, Water buffalo horn
(except Chinese Cleaver use Rosewood)

So I guess there's a reason for it. Maybe not lol. :) Maybe it's not Zen enough hehe.

A badly made handle, of whatever construction, may eventually fail. A well made handle, while it may fail, is less likely to. I have bolsterless knives that have been in use by me since 1971. They are as sound as when acquired.

I am fairly confident there are no stock cleavers in the size that you want. Custom cleavers are the only way to go.

AND DANG Seb, you have been holding out, that is a killer cleaver, very nice. What is the weight? 420 g?

JACKPOT!!!

420 grams, according to BWJ (Keiichi assisted with the purchase and processes the custom orders).

Thanks for the compliments, guys. This thing is indeed like the Terminator.

Oh oh! I just got a reply for my custom knife from the hamana shops. And with shipping it would be 699$ US dollars for a 295mm x 150mm chinese chef knife! Pretty expensive, but prety unique. Dunno if I'll do it though -_-

Ashi Hamono takes custom orders for Chinese chef knives (chuka bocho) and you can specify any dimensions you want, including thickness and taper. You also have a choice between high quality Swedish stainless steel or Japanese Hitachi White #2 carbon steel.

I ordered mine in carbon earlier this year, the dimensions are 220x110x2.0mm and the handle scales are rosewood.

IIRC, cost was around US$250.00 and the order was finished and mailed to me inside a week.

Thanks for that info Seb. Reasonable price and great turn-around. And of course, nice cleaver.

k.

Since it is ging to be a custom, do ensure that you know exactly what you want esp if you are going to pop USD 699! DO look into the balance point in the light of how you are going to be holding it as if it is too front heavy can be very tiring ( till you develop the finger and wrist muscles)for continuous usage...DO some research... a good knife should last you many many years and still gives you the simple pleasure of life.. joy and satisfaction with your tools of trade that you are going to be using so often.. Spread the cost over 20 years.., cost per day usage is quite negligible isn't it. The day I stopped drinking wildly and wasting time in pubs...looking for "LOoove" i realised that i have more money for my hobbies and other interests...

Dont forget to verify the thickness and length as only the thin ones are chinese chef's knife.Not meant for hacking bones. Each of them would have their numbering system to denote the intended purpose.

SO do your research, have fun and enjoy and hv your most preferred knife ( for the time being; till another beckons)

so have fun..

rgds
d

Latest posts

Back