Thread: Home cook, but 25 knives !

Home cook, but 25 knives !

I assume my title here is not all-that surprising.

I use mostly Japanese stainless knives for everyday quick chopping (8" MAC Mighty), but I also have also two identical blue steel pettys, two basic Shuns, one aogami super steel, a couple stainless with carbon cores, a set (6) of Zwilling non-serrated steak knifes, and of course a serrated bread knife (offset Wustoff)....and a few others.

....I also have a couple cheap carbon types that I use mostly to practice my sharpening skills.
    (BTW, I'm a lefty, so all my blades are 50/50 edged.)

Years ago as a beginner sharpener, I found it EXTREMELY useful to have these cheap knives to practice my stone sharpening. One knife was an eBay buy, a Japanese gyuto ($45) apparently made by a student knife maker in-training.
    The other carbon blade, I found at a thrift store....European style ($2).

My most recent purchases are stainless, a Mac Ultimate SDK-85 heavy cleaver, and two Shibata Kotetsu types....a 150mm petty, and their 240mm gyuto - both made with R2 steel cores.

The MAC cleaver was for pure functionality....to cut through chicken backbones, etc. I will do a review of that knife soon. It's the heaviest/thickest knife I own.
    The Shibatas are completely different....they are "laser type"....lightweight and super thin....and make juelianne and fine slicing a blazing breeze.

Anyway...nice to be here !

Administrator
    Welcome to the forum!

BTW Macs don't count, Shuns don't count, Wusties don't count, Henks don't count. Got any knives?

Older and wider..

Welcome!

It is not surprising. And hey, many people that would look at our kind strangely have 25 unitaskers instead that are in the end knives (peelers, spiralizers, graters, apple slicers... ) or go just as expensive on other cooking tools (especially appliances) that you don't even have in your hand most of the time in the kitchen.

Thanks everyone.

I do have doubles on a few knife sizes/shapes, but that's how I decide what works best.

#1....does it do it's job really good?
    #2 ....is it worth it to use and maintain the knife tool. (sharpening, durability, and usefulness) ?

I'm not a prof chef. I'm a home chef that often cooks things on-the-fly.
    But even in the home for 2-4 people......when a meal needs to come together quickly and efficiently....knives should help speed the operation, not get in the way at the last moment.
    Mise-en-place.
    I am very careful to serve everyone hot food that's meant to be hot. Plate warming.

Perfect example today.......I had to serve 3 people plus me, a NY steak, garlic green beans, a mashed root veggy, and a mushroom veal stock sauce. I had to keep the green beans raw-crisp but hot, and also get the steak med-rare. (outside on a grill).
    That's a lot of careful timing and running around. Everybody must be seated....which is thankfully the duty of a first-course appetizer. (honey roasted cauliflower).

Planning, planning, planning.....lol, whew !!.....then relax, and enjoy.
    I like the pressure for some strange reason, it satisfies me.

I'm a fan of wokfuls of "three to five aromatics and five to twenty vegs" stuff - everything stirfried, stirbraised, curried, souped, saladed... and often shocked that there was a time when I did manage that with cheap tools (though I remember some truly frustrating moments )

25 knives is like 1,000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea -- a good start!

Welcome to KKF.

"(BTW, I'm a lefty, so all my blades are 50/50 edged.)"

Some makers do lefty ground knives at an upcharge, but for example Misono's 15% upcharge isn't too bad. It's nice to finally have food release and convex working the right way!

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you've hit the ground running and will fit in just fine.