Quantcast
Free Speech
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Speech

Free Speech

What fun. If I keep doing this, I can sell a knife.
    Anyway, the question of the hour is:
    Have you ever REFRAINED FROM SPEAKING OUT about something you did not think was right because you were afraid of retaliation, whether on the job, or from the police?

Every d@mn day!

It's called being smart. Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing.

Actually, much of the time the safest thing is to say nothing. There were a lot of smart Germans in the thirties . . .
    This "off topic" post was precipitated by the foreboding I felt when I questioned the actions of law enforcement in a letter to the editor.
    Our freedom of speech should not be constrained by the possibility that we might be subject to retaliation of any kind.

I'm in a rural town that consists of farm fields, horses and upscale neighborhoods. The town folk like their village quiet and white. The cops keep it that way.

You would think being the highest profile business in the community, one that draws visitors from as far as a 100 mile radius wouldn't get hassled but we do. Thankfully my lawyer is on good terms with the top cop so we are currently co-existing. I have instructed my security company not to call the cops if a burglar alarm comes in. I don't want them in my building. (Yes, I'd rather have burglars. In the long run they are cheaper)

On advice of my lawyer I've kept my mouth shut about the numerous incidents of racial profiling and one of illegal search and seasure. (I am white so guess which one I was a victim of?)

Search "Aaron Bassler". Shot on sight from a distance of 40 yards in a Mendocino County forest. I would imagine even some cops think this was a little cowardly, not that they'd ever say so.
    When I was a kid in the '50's, my family rode the "Skunk Train" through this area. I loved Ft. Bragg, because I thought it was a fort. Since then, they've cut down all the trees; they left a few by the tracks, but you can see the wasteland through them.
    Aaron Bassler was a sad case, but he could have been afforded the opportunity to surrender with little or no risk to the SWAT team with the ceramic plates in their vests half a football-field away.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipcich View Post
    Our freedom of speech should not be constrained by the possibility that we might be subject to retaliation of any kind.
    Unfortunately it is in many ways. Think of all the people who have been fired for facebook posts.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Cipcich View Post
    ...Have you ever REFRAINED FROM SPEAKING OUT about something you did not think was right because you were afraid of retaliation, whether on the job, or from the police?
    Yes, and you can throw in crazies/druggies, too. Some times it just isn't worth it to stand up for what's right when the other side feels they have nothing to lose or just doesn't consider the possibility of losing.

Everyone does it when 'necessary' because we've been conditioned to, exactly as the subterranean workers of "Metropolis" or the sleeping populace of "They Live". Yeah, I know; but cinematic images get the point across pretty well.

There have been some that transcended the political/social/religious dogma of their era, but many of them have been relegated to the historical record as being obscure curiosities or insane and dangerous megalomaniacs.

I find some solace in reading Men Among The Ruins & Revolt Against The Modern World; but you'll have to pick your own poison, so to speak.

tk59...what you have just said is what every terrorist (whether clandestine or duly elected by our own citizenry) prays to their own particular diety to hear. It is their "Holy Grail". Please re-think this.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

With in-laws, there is no freedom of speech. You will pay for every bit of truth you say -- somehow.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson