Knives & Stones Sakai Jikko Akebono Blue 2 by Kenichi Shiraki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
About the line: 曙(Akebono: Day Break)

I plan to release the Akebono (曙) as a succession of the Akatsuki, since I ordered the Akatsuki before the Akebono. To my surprise, I received a batch of them along with a few Akatsuki Gyuto today. So I figure I may as well just release it now, so you get to choose exactly which one you like the best instead of feeling “I could have got that one”.

So what are similarities and differences between the Akatsuki and Akebono?
Similarities:
  • First of all, both the Akatsuki and Akebono means “dawn / daybreak”. I consider the Akebono as the sister line of the Akatsuki.
  • They are both finished by Master Hirosugu Tosa to an extremely high standard.
  • They are both extremely thin behind the edge
  • They are both K&S exclusive

Above are pretty much the only similar bits that are the same between the two lines, and let’s focus on the differences:
  • Unlike the Akatsuki which is derived from an existing (Jikko Yosaku) line, the Akebono is built from the ground up. The Akebono, as of now, only offers the 240mm Gyuto and it may expand into other profiles depending on the market response.
  • The profile of Akebono is made 100% to my specification.
  • The Akebono is forged by a well-known master smith: Kenichi Shiraki, who is famous for his blue steel work.
  • I consider the Akebono as an experimental line that is focused on the knife-nut community, and I will throw in many of my ideas here. You are most welcome let me know what you like to see in the future.

These are the general overview of the Akobono line, now it is time to have a look at the Akebono Gyuto 240mm.
Sakai-Jikko-Akebono-240mm-Gyuto__53951.1481543877.1280.1280.jpg

(Jikko Akebono Gyuto 240mm, Blue 2 by Kenichi Shiraki and Hirosugu Tosa)

As a vendor, I receive a lot of “suggestions” that the length on Sakai knives are quite confusing with how exist of the machi determines the how the knife length is calculated. I am also quite frustrated that I have constantly explain to customers about this, so I figure I may as well just ask for a 240, with a pointy tip and a decent flat spot.

I also added a bit of height to the heel so it goes between 53 to 55mm, the example that I measured is at 54mm.
profile-size.jpg

(Profile comparison, side by side)
profile-overlay.jpg

(Profile comparison, overlay)

The Grind:
I was really impressed by the Akatsuki and I don’t think there is much of a change needed at for the Akebono so I asked Tosa-san to just to whatever he can to create something equally impressive, and here is what I got from him. I am really happy with what I have got here in Sydney and I hope you will have the same feeling.
jikko-akebono-thickness-behind-the-edge.jpg

(Thickness at 1cm behind the edge)

Extras
The spine is totally rounded instead of just chamfering, it gives just THAT little extra comfort on pinch grip. I actually brought one of my K&S treated Tanaka to Jikko and asked for the same thing  I am glad to see Jikko totally exceed my expection in this regard.
spine.jpg

As I said, I will be trialling a few ideas in the Akebono line. This time around, I will be adding a “customization” option at the product page. It will give you the option to choose you own handles and sayas to fit your taste (and budget :D).

Here are a few examples of what you can choose.
jikko-akebono-ebony-single-spacer.jpg

(Jikko Akebono Gyuto 240mm with ebony / single metal spacer handle)

jikko-akebono-ebony-double-spacer.jpg

(Jikko Akebono Gyuto 240mm with ebony / single metal spacer handle)

saya-choice.jpg

(K&S 240mm Saya options, top: Teak; bottom: Bubinga)

Please click here to view this knife at knivesandstones.com

Same deal as the Akatsuki, I will offer my fellow KKF member a free saya. Just don't choose any Saya option, and instead put in a comment including which saya you like and your KKF user ID when you order.
Alternatively, if you are ordering via a mobile phone which you don't get to put in a comment, you can email me or drop me a PM about the saya of your choice.

Forgot to mention, this will be the last "interesting" knife that I launch before 2017. I will be having a 2 weeks break from mid-next week. Just in case you wonder what else I may come up with :O

:headbang: I got one before it's oos. Thanks James for launching such an exciting line, would love to see more different profiles. Now.. What am I going to do with another 240mm gyuto... :beatinghead:

Wasn't going to buy another gyuto, but was very interested in Mr. Shiraki's work and with the extra K&S treatment and the lovely bubinga saya it was too much of a temptation... Might need to sell some knives otherwise my SO might string me up :p :punish:

I'd love to see someone get this and the Akastuki and post a comparison. Maybe a little unrealistic I know but it would be interesting.😆

I'd love to see someone get this and the Akastuki and post a comparison. Maybe a little unrealistic I know but it would be interesting.😆

If anyone in the Chicago area gets this I'd be happy to do a meetup with my Akastuki (arriving Wed!!!) for a comparison...

Well well, James has done it again. I just popped by his showroom and picked up these.

MS2XdVYtVcG5TBrqOVsTHZnBap0RtD2EFPh_ewdcAmaYpE0Cm97L5iDaFqw-Bx62Ozy1RB-fPsYwc7vsfnes5PoSyi26_qp92cUnsapHbw6J2r4zYzTQEdXw-XEG_HvYo99Ysgr1A0xp864r8USbRJ5x8euxfeyRT9xRco8hcgSwuhdx9XHDV3BscstsKx79P1BVfF9lGfl5QzJSc0593FGMzACE8u-pDiK_374r5M_aSscKosNQYnVc8SUfbsd4r5x9oflCrLcCkRMiWFtKhNXYwXH-R0ZSFf7N-2qsq9ne2rtOtuid_8GZsHeiZse0EgQMWG4rvQmFp9WFxIwkVUF6bkbwncf6he1Z5TALnfHcM4Zjm82rphBH90PrCqRzrjVaWkO7jd5QFdO5dExVZcC0fBWwnvtfP7sAOEPRTIOmLNu8L4pG6kkThiuuTFJ-R4a_1DiSunWG4jF1Mqd3pB3Rj_d5lSGhXvQUvEmapSeXnG_2HZ4tZdOpcXLPEqo58Ah5zow2YIXsi_jGtNMqldhqTJTWLoi2uJltu8naWwz1G9l2RAYaCXqKPOcc5z_UufHDXvriDixKLKScNCb9u-r_j6dL-3ouUNsUiqRMXSlEuzlSBqVdsg=s1280

gy0-Cyu7SM3JJJyZlEfCNQeIkVYVe7RUKSzeRTFX2os8V7k0VoGZxOjA8Lhp95EXRHRAlfi7235fqRK-EgqQDvwj2NZGb4Cg3h2eMDRQlQ03Fi96tutKPF0nRSoFOgLfqKJPvXJcFMTWP_QUhQ0pFJ5PqHqu0JgvQj-KyidI2A49Z2SqboR6dR298Oh5vFDet8LeLi_VlQ6on3EEdPohFCY2Ip8ecdPTHkjuUV5ZmDfAZbfOj6Nv9rOxylu5TQoppdkzPBnnWpktGURtkBGynPDhps98DTIfK6fRQwagDCgyRGWczlxxfg7AkPGAjG3hWx5K_QxlK-6tzDgM5QZ9lhjnliSTd4vS_9iEEtyp40GlE6tdd8Jdlj-zw1YasZQ7PZZgmJAxBYkKw6lMJt1tx0rqOzh4rPC322x7oYAYBwvkMadvGc7ACfCG9TptWabe0UB54LSXd9VXwgEctuU-EvXRzwyFMkEwgdEG_aI2tGLehTAK3aawjNb1plKQ34QqCyQsg4uK26fOp6-pUNdbhqbmeaQxV1ujUvE5_5BGseRNCZ7MmNoWz6pPy9OsBwzv42PUBLT3OnrGKK1bNjRQPS7VsiMKBKQlRgLLp-8jkU4xVZNUU4HprA=s1280

SJTirKAqF6N8YJ4n13SSFE3-1uEnqzLeZI6pTB4w-gj9eJ4-jedSZbrnYFbXC6-EWlMNb64ziLl2Hc12Jtq9o_ngf2ihwNAVrrhwr2g0B-nfEF67lozkta5-d_E-yxCeont0casnWqJRtpGi6CVnAtCLDfp-2r3B_T_l6kI1xb-_Hg4RgC1dsDsm_8h7-cBPaZtGH4dVvcPueLF52ZlKKdndLR0mXk1ZWu1k_YZ9ON9Q7240jCEdnSs9P4UIAs1Gum5mJQVUX-lvZlf1U6HaH4N89YIgvYLRP_LrFP8984AsC-dCFW-ZbPwEY7vWXrnaXVw7QNyo3OluPGKmnM-s2mZnZwtMIZwIB5PD_YoNkEN5MbLgvmEomPq_oGXSzk-D3P4xTQgafJofRidPHf3WvXIqLtfLKaSkTah7RCXZnRphF0IkG2Kf6tyjfZ-Ge4V4lUZs43iRg0i_8imqWcJAL4OXzMwzU9eTEj5dJ5YZyxWjKbaPN0DKY2zQvJp1uK2maDr9qXJoysYuIjwRNz-Uh0pgX2No8qFnU-bECdOTZINE6oVH3BCj7jcMZeT2ohbSE7QnQqNQlHHuuhdbPWM99nsz7kWSlcW7AP_nEN5lg6BRaZNZ5A_9Fw=s1280

First impressions is that Akebono looks really good. Compared with vanilla Jikko white2 (base model of Akatsuki) that I tested drive a few months back, I like the profile on Akebono better, but this is personal preference. Fit and finish is better as James described. Current iteration of handle and saya are really good too.

Exactly right! Never think never!

Anyway, I am installing handles for the overnight orders, i have to say the polishing quality of our craftsmen are really making me proud!
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1481605829.164025.jpg

Looks good. How long is the neck, out of curiosity?

No current knife funds but really hoping this line will stick around a bit. Profile looks great and love the increased size.

AFAIK I don't really know who does a lot of stainless clad with carbon core in Sakai, it is very interesting. I use to ask about the possibility of stainless with carbon core/ powdered steel but didn't get a satisfying answer.

]
Anyway, I am installing handles for the overnight orders, i have to say the polishing quality of our craftsmen are really making me proud!

Polishing quality on handle is so good
PO5wjFR3yGIR2VSa4pOORYljoBN1c21Ikv78lwx_7Xl2wRSzAxcGkFpYXAZ8bmKx3Pb2QVVunP1Y3tv9c2ifuBugbdgaZK0nciUu5HBgkdiQ3iTL2h5ZUcDf1Pw_Nopzy-veV6enGSUZCYlY-RBRHRqK5tN_sT_ocVkNNGfH0seSzVhmH1XBjKDIhubSqLO1sBD-jK40hSn3R5-e1lAZBSMaYzo4dF6pxs-GTWSbk69kFNTbTrWDnTcweWpu1Cey6bqXEK7dVJQOc8ilH8c6afpJPRMThAHzfl3nKXQkAUgbAQPtISCzQvGZ-FdXd9WXqjDRZ8UIK0mo_xYXvW-EPJCBUq4ywxotqj6F4jWfRhGQ1kQgDAsXkj5lbpUwctQTxljhbyNmb_hZO1N7IxFvPoKeU7-3ONm8mZb7QDcME4zm2Is0cBiQ_xipyHvyPEzLG6IaUj7ilvrJr-AldlBc1fSdyrm6QGOaefbwxRlyZ2J0cLCLeiG4I3Fz5se7ayxxrb7fuIbll8jOCxyv4rVIyoU06l3CifWCzXbC7Mg26AW3Bi8-26ud_DenVnpPVDrIow0n27XMPa7xI1gdarr0pqZdJVchamb_JLDEIgIzjOetHi3kEAloAxkZU8S5ljPK_kQnMhQhVr_lsL-aPodxdDcVt6hntJES14jdHbEsnwc=s1280

The first batch of 12 Akebono has only 3 left and K&S will do the last shipment on next Monday before i call it the year! :D

James, I am not in the market for a knife in this category at the moment, but if I were I would be interested in having the option to get a ligher handle (classical ho-wood or burned chestnut) for a more pronounced front-forward weight balance.

Back