Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sakai Jikko Akebono Blue 2 by Kenichi Shiraki

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    And a few performance notes would always be nice as well.
    +1. Performance people!!! Let's talk performance!

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foody518 View Post
    For those lucky folks who have gotten theirs already, can y'all comment on reactivity of the cladding?
    And a few performance notes would always be nice as well.
    +1. Performance people!!! Let's talk performance!
    This akebono in general is very similar to the the standard white 2 line I tried a couple of months back. Basically the knife is in laser category. For me, I have been using (and keeping only) thicker knives or wide bevel knives, for a while e.g. Kato, Toyama, Shig, etc. For this Jikko in comparison, it goes through food really well, dense food, hard root vegetables. Given that it has just a tiny amount of convex grind, some food will stick on the blade side, but it is not too bad.

I will still have to see how edge holding is for this blue #2 version, once I put my own edge on. Still on OOTB with just a tiny touch up on natural polishing stone as it seems pretty good as is. Jikko standard white #2 edge holding was fine, for home use. It was typical for which regular weekly touch up for home user would bring it back to life quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagohawkie View Post
    Ive used my Akatsuki White 2 knife several times now and has showed zero reactivity. I think these may have been lacquer coated. Perhaps James came confirm. Im going to clean mine with acetone tonight and cut up some protein. Will report back any reactivity.
    Jikko comes with a costing which has to be removed. Here was a standard white 2 from a while back.

Hello there.
    Last day I finally got the opportunity to put the knife through it's paces properly. Had lot of big prep to knock out.
    My conclusion are the knife for me is definitely in the laseresque category, not the thinnest ones I used, but it cuts incredibly well and thanks to the thicker spine it doesn't feel whippy like some other lasers I used. Thinly slicing Onions for onion Lyonaise was a pleasure with the knife just falling through the produce. Dicing carrot and Celeriac produced no difficulties. Essentially whatever I threw at the knife it performed splendidly. Also have to comment on the edge retention which was better than I expected. After a long session of using the knife on polyboards and the occasional touch up on a strop the knife was still sharp enough that a "sharpness fanatic" like me didn't feel like it needed sharpening. That being said I did put the knife on the stones to see how it sharpens and I can say that it comes back to shaving sharp with little to no effort. Can't really comment on reactivity cause the laquer hasn't worn off completely. This puppy will definitely be my go to knife as far as prep goes.
    Big thanks to James for giving us this knife line to use and enjoy.