Recommendation: High Quality Kitchen Knife Set for Home

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChessGator

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently using a low-end knife set. I have been using various cheapos for 30+ years and finally decided to invest in a high-quality knife set.

My four general criteria are as follows:

1. Dishwasher friendly

2. High quality knife steel

3. Non-wood handle

4. Western style handle

Money is not really an issue, it will depend on the quality of the knife steel and the build quality of the knives :)

Thank you and I look forward to your suggestions :)

CG :):)

OK, pretty tough requirements. Any high end knife will be destroyed in a dishwasher! This is because high end steels will rust, even the stain resistant ones.

Is dishwasher proof a big thing for you? If so, you may not get high end steel.

Hi CG,

I agree with fatboyslim, you won't find anything high quality and dishwasher friendly.

What knives do you use most? Sometimes a block set includes things you might not even want to buy.

Any knife you care about, high end or not, should never be put in a dishwasher.

Hi, I live in Canada and eat western food: Meat and Veggies. I won't be making sushi or filleting eels :)

On a side note here is an interesting video I just watched and enjoyed :)

Thanks,

CG

[video=youtube;ytHnQsxIszc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytHnQsxIszc[/video]

Any knife you care about, high end or not, should never be put in a dishwasher.

A dishwasher is just hot water with soap! A knife should be able to handle that terrible abuse :)

Best regards,

CG

A dishwasher is just hot water with soap! A knife should be able to handle that terrible abuse :)

Best regards,

CG

Hahahahahahahaha Good luck ruining your high quality knives. Do you know how hot that water is? Or what the heat and steam will do while drying? It's over 165 in the wash cycle and over 185 in the rinse cycle. I'm sorry but your way off on this one. A high quality knife that can be ran in the dishwasher just doesn't exist.

Besides, what is so hard about simply wiping your knife with a damp towel and then a dry one. Cause that's all you need to do.

Best regards,

CG

Washing a knife by hand takes less than 30 seconds. A person wanting a nice knife should be able to handle this minimal amount of effort.

Dishwasher detergent takes a brute force approach and most are rather harsh. You will never be able to keep an edge on any knife by putting it in such environment after every use. Speaking of keeping an edge, how do you plan to sharpen this knife?

Perhaps a knife made with space age materials... Like the KNASA :D

Hi fellows, okay, so if I take off condition number 1 - dishwasher friendly, what are you recommending?

Thank you :)

http://www.haburnknives.com/store/gyuto-integral

Its carbon steel so it will rust if you do not wipe the blade after each use (it can not stay wet at all). It meets all your requirements now that you dropped number 1. Put that knife in a dishwasher and baby Jesus will cry.

Hi, interesting choice the same knife steel that Bob Kramer uses for his knives, including the spinoff BK zwilling collection, which sells for approximately $300 per knife, so what makes the Haburn that much better at $1,100?

So is the consensus "high-carbon" over a "carbon-stainless" for high quality kitchen knives?

One is a mass production knife and the other is hand made one at a time. The Zwilling also has a wood handle which you did not want.

Its very difficult to find good quality Japanese knives with a synthetic (plastic) handle, thus why he recommended that knife...

Take a look at Japanese Chef Knives (google it) and take a look at the stainless knives with a high hardness ( 58+)

I suppose the highest quality knife that might have a shot (and I mean only a shot) at surviving a session in a dishwasher (what a god awful idea though) is the Chef's Choice Trizor knives available from cutlery and more an, they even have a nice discount on them

But what a crazy idea to put any reasonable knife in the dishwasher

Its very difficult to find good quality Japanese knives with a synthetic (plastic) handle, thus why he recommended that knife...

Take a look at Japanese Chef Knives (google it) and take a look at the stainless knives with a high hardness ( 58+)

Hi, yes I was already at that website, which is why I came here! I will need some help to come to a conclusion.

bkultra, you are right about the carbon Kramer knife handle.

Thank you,

CG

So is the consensus "high-carbon" over a "carbon-stainless" for high quality kitchen knives?

Bearing in mind that this is not your average home-cooking forum, we probably should have asked what YOU consider "high quality", beyond your original requirements. One man's trash is another man's treasure, as the saying goes. My Wusthof Grand Prix knife set, which I considered treasure when I bought it, meets all of your stated requirements although the manufacturer still recommends hand washing those knives. The fit-and-finish on them is unsurpassed. The steel, while rather soft by Japanese standards, is of excellent quality and quite stain resistant. The designs are classic European geometry. Most people would consider them high quality knives, and rightly so. And it may be all you need.

However, you have wandered out onto one of the fringes of cooking, where people obsess over knives to a degree that most people would find excessive. Welcome to the world of Knife Geekdom. :) Here, the standards are not quite the same. Edge keenness and retention are the priorities, here, and some people here love caring for and sharpening their knives more than using them. After all, you only use a knife for a few minutes a day in a home kitchen, so all the fussing let's you spend more time with your knives. And Japanese steel manufacturers are now the leading developers of so-called "super steels", as you've seen, and all of those are carbon steels. So, most of the recommendations you'd normally get here would be for Japanese hand-crafted knives, but they almost always come with wooden handles and most of them use some (or all) carbon steel. They are fantastic knives, but not everyone needs or can even appreciate the qualities that make them the ultimate geek knives.

Hi carbon, carbon, all the same ****...in fact carbon levels are usually similar between stainless and not.fI'd pick a nice "stainless" knife you like and just not put it in the dishwasher:)

And about sharpening said knife?

Hi fellows,

I have given the best info on what I want/need, even conceded the evil dishwasher :)

Now that you/we have narrowed it down for us, I would be obliged if you would make some of your best suggestions.

Let's focus on knives first and sharpening later, as it will overwhelm the thread.

Thank you,

CG :)

What DaveInMesa forgot to mention: Japanese and handcrafted sounds expensive. But perfectly great ones are available in the same price range as medium to top of the line western knives - starting from maybe $80 for something santoku-sized. These tend to be carbon steel and wood handled. They don't even pretend to be even soak proof, let alone dishwasher proof.

Carbon steel= great steel that, however, can rust.

Stainless steel=rust free if not abused, THIS IS NOT austenitic nickel steel that stainless and dishwasher proof pots and pans are made of. You could not make a kitchen-usable knife out of austenitic. There are many types, you have the conventionally made steels like 420J2 or 1.4416 or AUS-8 you find in almost all western knives, you have the top-of-the-line of the conventional steels - like Gin-3, VG-5, VG10, you have the so called powder metallurgical steels. The first is worse than carbon steel performance wise. The second can sometimes draw even if extreme sharpness is not required. The third is great but expensive...

Semi stainless = treat like carbon steel for now, even if it isn't totally accurate.

High carbon steel, High carbon stainless steel = confusing terms, don't use them here.

And BTW, the logic here is "let's focus on sharpening so you have a knife later".... people here expect their non serrated knives to cut a tomato at any time even if they are not new, and keep them that way.

OK, so we can assume that you want a classic knife set (Deba, Yanagiba and Usuba) but western handled?

I would also add, let's forget about a set of knives. You really only need 3 maybe four knives to do everything and putting your budget into those knives will yield you a greater quality.

What you should be looking at is a 210mm-240mm gyuto (chef knife), a 150mm petty (utility knife) and about a 90mm pairing knife. Possibly a bread knife as well but it is not a necessity.

Hi fellows, okay that sounds fine, you lead me where I need to go :)

As much money as it costs to buy a set knives that when I drop a tomato on the blade it will cut it in half like a hot knife through butter :)

Forget about a "set"... Waist of money. Focus on a chefs (gyuto) a utility (petty) and maybe a slicing (sujihiki) or bread knife. Dropping a tomato on a knife and having it cut is not a hard task for a sharp knife... Now how do you plan to keep these knives sharp, because even a 2k dull knife won't cut.

BTW, don't do the tomato test on any knife you aren't willing or able to sharpen. Very thin edges can suffer if you hit them awkwardly with a tomato. And not all good blades will pass it, it is more a geometry than a sharpness test.

Hi knife buddies,

You fellows are difficult people to get actual knife suggestions from :(

May we worry about sharpening later, and focus on the knives for now as the thread will become to confusing :)

Thank you and I look forward to your learned suggestions for my very slowly developing knife seletion!

Cordially,

CG

Back