Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Soft synthetic boards

Administrator
    3/4" heard. Would have, should have. Next time.
    Older and wider..

Have been thinking of a 18x24x1 sani-tuff but may now consider 3/4". Thanks gentlemen
    "A dull knife means you're a ******* loser" – Matty Matheson

3/4 is plenty. I have 2 and I use them way more than end grain

RJ,

I've been in your shoes before. Brought a small hi-soft to lug to work daily when the restaurant didn't provide any decent cutting surfaces. I choose to not leave it at work because it was a fairly large establishment with way too much turnover for me to feel comfortable leaving it. All the other restaurants that I've previously worked before always had good cutting boards so my small hi-soft stays at home now, I use it way more then my end grain board due to the easier maintainance.

I do recommend however if you feel comfortable with your co-workers to leave the board at work.. get a slightly bigger one. You'll thank yourself with the extra board space when prepping in large quantities.

Upkeep for hi-soft are fairly simple. I handwash and sanitize it myself rather than sticking it in the dishwasher, every once in a blue moon I would do a quick bleach and a good buffing to get the original color back. As for warping, it doesn't happen with the small boards. If you're using the longer boards and let it air dry standing vertically, it will warp but it works itself out when you lay it down on the work table. Never had a problem with it at all.

I've actually purchased a few more hi-softs for the new restaurant that I am opening. Heres a comparison of the other sizes next to my "small" hi-soft (it's due for a little bit of bleaching).

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbroth View Post
    There is another competition to hisoft where sushi bar is concerned but I cannot recall the name or anything other than its a few shades lighter than hisoft and denser. You can get rubber ones too but those are way too heavy to lug around
    There is asahi board (which I don't recommend at all) and also hasegawa (highly recommended). I only crossed paths with hasegawa boards twice working in the industry. It's got all the good stuff hi-soft is known for but it's so much lighter and it doesn't flex. However they do cost about 3 times more than hi-soft for comparable sizes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161215_235238.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	33929  

Expense wise Asahi>Hi-soft>Sani-tuff. Asahi is a bit more than I would like. So I think I am looking toward the latter two. MTC has a nice sale right now...

Administrator
    Older and wider..

S-Line--

Thanks for the response. I think you pushed me over the edge. I am mainly looking at getting a larger sized board so I can really let my 270s shine. The 100cm x 40cm x 2cm board is the one I have my eye on right now. I should not have an issue keeping it at work.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    That is the same pic included in most of the sani-tuff pics I have seen.

Not a problem, glad to be of help. The 100cm board is a big boy, it's the same size as the bottom 4 boards in the picture that I've attached. Not sure how much area you have at work, but the 100cm boards I got are for the sushi chefs working the bar so they have an entire 48" work table to themselves. Your co-workers may not like you if you have to share a worktable and your board take up majority of it.

does a 3/4" version of this exist? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B3NQTKW