Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soft synthetic boards

Soft synthetic boards

I am really starting to think that getting a good high quality soft synthetic cutting board would be better than buying another knife. Two months ago I started using my personal small end grain wood board at work (another thread). The results have been very good. It has chopped my sharpening routine in half. I really think this is an under spoken of part of the overall work experience of prep work on the job.

Do many pros around here take personal boards to work? Do you leave them there or heft them around? I am mostly focused on Hi-soft due to cost and availability. What is the up keep like? Do they need to be flatten and if so, how?

Daveb and S-Line, this is directed towards the two of you

Thank you,
    rj

i use a hi-soft at home but they are way too soft to use at work. i know dave and brainsausage use sani-tuff and i plan on getting one as well. probably get the medium sized one and keep it in the office when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    i use a hi-soft at home but they are way too soft to use at work. i know dave and brainsausage use sani-tuff and i plan on getting one as well. probably get the medium sized one and keep it in the office when not in use.
    I had not heard that before about Hi-soft being too soft. I will look around some more for sani-tuff. The ones I found are smaller than I would like.

... too soft?
    Blue skies over bad lands

I have Asahi sushi Board for large fish cutting and proteins fabrication. For regullar prep Sani tuff the 3/4 inch thick is rightfully designed and priced . You cant go wrong with these boards. I have seen the Hi-soft i didnt like the looks of them .

I have not tried it yet but they tell me you can sand them down . I would love to try it soon to see how well it works.

for what its worth, i used hi soft in professional kitchen and i have a ton of friends that do so currently. Its not too soft... thats an issue of personal preference.

Engorged Member
    I have an Asahi board and would highly recommend it. I prefer it over my Maple endgrain board.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Administrator
    Not sure what I'll add to the discussion (but that's not stopped me before....)

I've two of the sani-tuff boards, don't remember dimensions but pretty large. I take one to work when I can leave it out of the way. I've got 1/2 inch boards and they'll bow if not left vertical or flat. Weight is not bad but they're a little awkward to carry every day.

I've not tried it but have thought about ripping one of them into 2 pieces for 2 smaller boards. Bought mine from Amazon for just over 100 bucks.
    Older and wider..

There is another competition to hisoft where sushi bar is concerned but I cannot recall the name or anything other than its a few shades lighter than hisoft and denser. You can get rubber ones too but those are way too heavy to lug around
    Blue skies over bad lands

I like sanituff 3/4" thick.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/