Quantcast
Stone Question - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stone Question

FWIW the King 300x is the slowest cutting coarse stone you'd ever want to meet. It never really dishes though so I guess that's something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    FWIW the King 300x is the slowest cutting coarse stone you'd ever want to meet. It never really dishes though so I guess that's something.
    sounds like you might as well use a pane of glass. would have the same attributes!

Quote Originally Posted by memorael View Post
    ok so no 300x for me.

On the other hand isn't a norton 8k about 4k Japanese ? so what about the 4k? about 2k?
    I've used these a few times. I don't think they are THAT far off but definitely you don't get the type of keeness you would expect from a 4k and 8k. I once lost an informal sharpening competition to unkajonet using these. I was trying to prove that all 8k's give 8k edges and then I lost. I think he was using Dave's standard setup beston, bester, rika, kit or something like that and I used beston, norton 1k, norton 4k, norton 8k. My edge wasn't dull but I clearly lost.

Sponsors
    i think its one of the most common misconceptions with stones... grit doesn not equal grit... variables like grit type, grit density, binder density, binder material, stone hardness, and the amount of mud used all make a difference in finishes... very few equal grit stones work in the same way (but i know you already know this )

I would have given my right arm to see TK in that competition lol... actually I would give a foot or something else my arms are needed for my knife fix. BTW someone should go over to the straight razor forums and raise hell by saying nortons aren't 8k perse, I bet there would be a heated debate in less than a minute.

strop strop strop

Get/make a strop.

Thanks guys. A stone flattener it is.

Pat

+ Reply to Thread