Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whatever happened to Aritsugu A-type?

so i found this thread while i was doing some searching and would like to revisit this.

i have recently decided that i want a 240mm gyuto to go along with my 270mm HD. i am not looking for a laser, but more of a workhorse. i want something that will take some abuse and will act as the opposite of the HD. i need something that will withstand like 20lb of winter squash and then some. my HD could do it but i want to reserve it for a bit more delicate work.

also having a spare gyuto in the bag will be advantageous and as much as i would like the HD to have a suisin inox brother, it will not be as versatile of a setup.

i feel like an a-type could be exactly what im looking for. i know they take some time to thin out and i dont mind spending the time if it is going to be what i want in the end. it took me a few hours to get my HD where i want it anyway. i feel like i sharpen my HD currently the way you would have to sharpen the a-type.

so anyway, if i could get some advice on whether to pass or pull the trigger here or any other suggestions for a knife that would fit my description, it would be appreciated.
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Shoulda grabbed that Heiji that was in the BST earlier this week!

Do you want to keep it stainless/semi stainless? I prefer my DT ITK to my A-Type, both are more robust than lasers, but still cut well. With a little more work the A-type could be as good or better than the ITK, perfomance wise. The A-type is obviously cheaper and more readily available, but I find the stock handle to be completely unsatisfactory. Plan on a new one...maybe Darkhoek or mhenry can make you an ebony and marble horn handle to match the rest of your kit. I would also get it stock and put an edge on it yourself. Even if you have to buy a new stone to do the job and have never tackled something like this before, it will most likely come out better than the farmed out "pro" jobs that are offered some places.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

+1 on the Heiji... I'm kicking myself for not grabbing that. What other knives to consider... I love my A-type. It had enought meat on it to modify the geometry to exactly what I wanted. +1 on the UNSHARPENED. The handle is a little odd in that it is normal height and length but narrow in width. I don't really mind it but I can see why someone would want to switch it out. The other knife I'd consider is a Yoshikane. One thing about those is I've seen two 270's (one wa and the other yo) and seen measurements for another wa and yo. It seems the thickness of the knives may vary considerably. Both the thick one I tried and the thin one are excellent cutters but one is a BEAST. I would recommend it but you should call up the seller and get dimensions so you get what you're expecting. The same thing goes with the DTITK suggestion. Depending on which batch it came from, there will be significant differences.

don't forget about the hiro as too

Agreed with tk,totally. For better or worse, the forums tend to be a reflection on what's new and interesting at the moment. But that doesn't mean there aren't tons of other great tools out there - it's just that they have been discussed already, so people move on to newer topics. It's a personal peeve of mine, since the knives that we're great 5 years ago may still be great now.

My experience with my own wa - Yoshikane has been great. It's definitely a beast, a workhorse, but it's a great knife. I don't know if we're allowed to reference this forum (if we're not, I apologize), but a good review is at: http://www.foodieforums.com/vbulleti...ight=yoshikane

Another workhorse that doesn't get many comments now, but is absolutely worth looking at is the Watanabe gyuto. Have one of those and consider him a master craftsman.

Never tried the A-type, but one comment that I remember is that some buyers had negative comments about the original sharpening. The thought back in day was that it might be best to order one without a bevel to be able to tune it to your own preference. But someone with more experience can probably address whether that's a good idea.

Another option could be a Yoshihiro from JKI. Not a laser but a clunker either all the feedback I have heard has been very positive. I'm planning on purchasing one as soon as I donate enough plasma to cover it and my current gyuto wears out.

I'm also still considering an A-type myself I prefer knives with flatter profiles and it certainly has one.

One more thing about the A-type: I wish it were more pointed. And +1 to the Yoshihiro. The one I bought from Ben is holding up very nicely.

I have a Mizuno-Tenrenjo to go along with my Ikkanshi and it is a work horse.

So far, discussion has centered on gyutos. How about the single bevels?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I have a 270mm a-type. I might finally use it the day I get a belt grinder.