best solution to seal gaps in handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoiledbroth

Reaction score
i suspect because of the huge variation in humidity/temp here (-30 or below some winters and very dry, +30 or above some summers and very humid... celsius)

and my penchant for less than expensive Japanese cutlery, I get alot of issues with gaps in my yo handles.

whats the best solution to seal them up? I just don't want to get anyone sick. It's really impractical to go with a piece of paper and clean the gaps out every night after work. The knives are all cheap enough to make rehandling at any point in their lives fairly financially impractical... so permanent solutions are alright I guess. Should I just super glue and sand?

Yes superglue and sand, with good ventilation, nasty fumes. I would also seal with some boiled linseed based- tru-oil or danish.

i've heard silicon caulking is a good solution as the handle can still be removed if need be. Also beeswax and sawdust mixture I think is what most Japanese makers use but I could be wrong.

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/y32dsm/media/20161005_211544_zpssqngfhxj.jpg.html?sort=3&o=7

I got rust in my handle as well. Should I remove handle and reinstall it? I have never removed and reinstalled handle at all. I am worried since I don't know hot to do it. There are some videos out there, though. Or I can just epoxy it?

Knock it out using the method Maksim shows in the video below.

[video=youtube;ZajZh8aps6Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZajZh8aps6Q[/video]

Then epoxy it back in. Easy.

I did this with my Shig nakiri, had to use some micro rasps/files on the tang slot since the tang was in there tight and I couldn't get it back in as far. As a bonus the epoxy is also waterproof but is a one shot deal (won't be removing again).

If doing a burn in, just be careful to avoid this :shocked3:
attachment.php

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...-I-feel-like-crying-when-we-get-this-stuff-in

The original question about fixing gaps in yo handles is probably best to use the CA glue

Is gorilla glue CA? It's like the first result when I google CA glue

Yea, Maksim torched the tang and burned the inside of the handle. Some people said that use glue, but what glue????????
tjangular said epoxy. I have covered the end of handle with epoxy before, so water can't go in.

How do I remove handle later on if I use glue or epoxy to fill the gap inside of the handle??
If I fill the gap, I prefer epoxy since it is waterproof?

Or, should I just do what Maxim did?

I remember reading something about using hot glue gun glue so it is still remove able if any issues should happen down the road. But this op is about a yo handles. I would think that CA glue and sanding would be the cheap/quick/permanent solution

Gorila glue is a Ca, but cures like rubber. It also bubbles while curing, so not sure how this affects things. Directions say to wet one surface, but I'd try it without wetting as this causes the bubbling. Whatever moisture clings to the metal and wood after you wipe and let things dry for [at least] 24 hours will do. You are just sealing the end so no prob, moisture in the air is enough.

Regular thin Ca can be used with baking powder of baking soda, one but not the other and I forget which so you will need to do a little test. Force the powder into the cracks, drop on some CA and it will cure like instantly, like a rock.

There is a rubberized Ca that I think would work better here. It's fairly thin (if you get the thin) and will flow some, but Gorila is probably going to be your easiest and cheapest to acquire.

Well cyanoacrilates are related to polyurethanes, at least that was my memory of it. You are of course right in how GG is classified, still they 2 behave much the same in terms of curing, water activated. RTV's are mainly water activated also.

Does anyone use epoxy for this purpose, or is superglue a better option?

Does anyone use epoxy for this purpose, or is superglue a better option?

I vote epoxy for very large gaps, gotta push it in with a toothpick or something thin. Thin CA glue is great for small gaps as it will tend to wick in but may take a few applications to fill the gap depending.

Super-Glue with baking soda, google it, youtube it, you'll find it

I vote epoxy for very large gaps, gotta push it in with a toothpick or something thin. Thin CA glue is great for small gaps as it will tend to wick in but may take a few applications to fill the gap depending.

Thanks! How do you undo either of these if you need to rehandle?

Back