Smoked ham came out too salty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ham saga continues. All done. Cold smoked yesterday and hot smoked today. Tried a bite and man, it's just too salty. Would soaking it in water at this point do anything? I'm going to glaze and reheat later in the week.

Maybe slice thin and serve with some kind of under seasoned sauce?

Rats. Worst case, I would just use in soup. Perhaps boiled with beans would pull out quite a bit of the salt and flavor. The salt and flavor would would balance into the bean though.

Just sucks because the flavor will get pulled out also. Curious to hear what you do and how it turns out.

I soak mime for 48 hours, changing the water 3 times a day. Same as I do when turning corned beef into pastrami

It still works even once cooked but straight water does also remove the pork flavor. If it's inedible though you gotta do what you gotta do and adjust the recipe for next time.
Edit: I never tried soda though sounds like a workable solution both acidity and sugar will help mask that saltiness.

country ham is often soaked overnight in water or milk or cooked in water to extract the extra salt. that stuff is really salty.

country ham is often soaked overnight in water or milk or cooked in water to extract the extra salt. that stuff is really salty.

This is true. We soak it overnight and cut it thin and serve it on fresh made buttermilk biskets.

If you use water instead of soda, you can cook with the water when done.

Ham saga continues. All done. Cold smoked yesterday and hot smoked today. Tried a bite and man, it's just too salty. Would soaking it in water at this point do anything? I'm going to glaze and reheat later in the week.

Maybe slice thin and serve with some kind of under seasoned sauce?

Is this the ham that I commented on in another thread?

The one that you injected with brine twice?

Can you re-post the recipe?

You probably realise that you used too much salt, or left the ham in the brine too long, or the double injection added too much salt, but it would be interesting to see the recipe again anway.

If you include the volume of water you used, we can calculate the salinity of your brine.

I like the idea of pairing this with some low or no salt biscuits if it's still too salty. At least worth a try with some of the meat, but I'm sure soup would be a good use as well.
I'm sure this must be disappointing, hope you find a way to salvage this.

or beans. I get this fantastic bacon from a place in kentucky but it is pretty salty and works great for beans. it is the best bacon for smoke flavor but I can only handle two slices.

Latest posts

Back