Acid etched Tojiro for a Christmas gift

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzHP

Reaction score
A good friend of mine expressed some interest in better knives as she is getting into cooking, so I decided to gussy up an old Tojiro DP santoku of mine using the ferric chloride/vinegar acid etching technique for about 5 minutes, using a cricut to cut vinyl sticker silhouettes of some of her and her boyfriend's favorite video games. Pretty fun project, a little more exciting and memorable than just gifting the knife outright. :) Sharpened to about 10 degrees each side with a 15 degree microbevel. Pics in the link below!

http://imgur.com/a/QEXHt

That came out really nice! :doublethumbsup:

Did you use diluted store bought PCB etchant? It looks like the vinyl sticker resist didn't let any of the solution under the stickers, pretty sharp?

That came out really nice! :doublethumbsup:

Did you use diluted store bought PCB etchant? It looks like the vinyl sticker resist didn't let any of the solution under the stickers, pretty sharp?

Yep, half PCB etchant and half white vinegar. The vinyl sticker let nothing in, you can even see on the overwatch symbol that the Tojiro stamp which was eaten away by the acid is in pristine condition, and super sharp.

Seriously- nice job! Great gift in the first place but you took it to a whole nother level.

Pretty cool, I have a bottle of that stuff and some DPs too :idea2:

Did you do anything to the vertical grind lines before etching? I find that OOTB they seem kinda grabby and not as smooth a finish as some other knives

Pretty cool, I have a bottle of that stuff and some DPs too :idea2:

Did you do anything to the vertical grind lines before etching? I find that OOTB they seem kinda grabby and not as smooth a finish as some other knives

The vertical grind marks on DP's are pretty deep and a royal PITA to remove. I have spent a lot of time removing them on the 3 DP's I have. Still not completely removed but mostly there.

Love the way this came out. Curious how it will hold up.

The vertical grind marks on DP's are pretty deep and a royal PITA to remove. I have spent a lot of time removing them on the 3 DP's I have. Still not completely removed but mostly there.

Yep. I actually tried a bit on my nakiri DP but nothing doing. I'm sure the people receiving it won't be bothered by it lol

Back